FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Media Speed

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jgpyne
DVD Media Speed
on Jan 8, 2003 at 4:55:29 pm

How does A05 determine what speed the media is capable of? I recently purchased some media that is "supposed" to be useable at 2x on this drive but my software says it can only burn it at 1x. Also, Sonic MyDVD always defaults to "Auto"... is there a way to override Auto? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Andy Browne
Re: DVD Media Speed
on Jan 8, 2003 at 11:59:01 pm

I have heard from som sources that the blank media is actually encoded with a number or code that must perform some sort of handshake with the DVD drive. If the media has the proper code which coincides with the burners speed, then the recording is supposed to occur at that speed.

Now that's what I was just told. I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 9, 2003 at 4:12:26 am

If it's generic DVD media, then the Pioneer drive will probably not recognize it as 2x capable. The Pioneer firmware has a very limited list of media that is tested as 2x compatible. If your media is not in the list, it will only burn it at 1x speed.

Return to posts index

jgpyne
on Jan 9, 2003 at 2:11:50 pm

Thanks for the replies, chalk one up to a generic media learning experience. FYI, I bought this media from http://www.Meritline.com based on their advertisement that it is 2x stable in Pioneer drives. I would never use such media for anything really important but figured, and less than $1 for stuff that would work at 2x, what the heck. In any event... not sure how they proved it was 2x stable. No doubt there is a way to override that check but I think I'll just wait for the name brand media to drop in price.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the generic 4x media out there?

Return to posts index

Andy Browne
on Jan 9, 2003 at 5:53:21 pm

Yesterday, I just bought a pack of 25 4x DVD-Rs. If you email me in a week or so, I'll give you the word. andy@browneweb.com.

Andy Browne
Visit Digital Memories at http://browneweb.com/digitalmemories/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]