FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pioneer A05 sound problem solved!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sstupak
Pioneer A05 sound problem solved!
on Jan 7, 2003 at 3:57:56 am

I realized after 3 days of beating my head against the wall that I only wired up the digital audio out on my DVD player. I plugged up the old audio RCA jacks and VOILA! SOUND!
But I assumed that when I burn a DVD that I would be creating a digital audio file as well. I've been capturing video from my (analog) Hi8 camcorder. can someone give me a little info on this DVD audio situation?
Thank you for your interest,
Scott

Return to posts index

jgayman
Re: Pioneer A05 sound problem solved!
on Jan 10, 2003 at 12:12:11 am

This really doesn't make sense. The audio file your burning is probably normal PCM stereo. Your DVD player should output this audio stream to either the digital bitstream output or the left/right audio.

Are you saying that originally if you put a commercial DVD in your player you had audio but your homemade DVD did not ?

- John

Return to posts index

sstupak
on Jan 10, 2003 at 4:56:34 am

Yeah. I only had the digital sound out (SPDIF) from my DVD player wired up to my speaker system. When I edited some home movies and burned them to DVD (Joint stereo), no sound came out of the DVD player. When I wired up the composite stereo speaker wires to the DVD player, I got sound. I just assumed that DVD format meant digital sound.

Return to posts index

jgayman
on Jan 11, 2003 at 3:44:13 am

It must be a quirk of your particular DVD player because I have two DVD players (Toshiba and Sony) hooked up the exact same way --- Optical digital connection only to the home theater receiver. All my DVD's burned with my A05 work just fine and they contain only PCM stereo.

The players also seem to work in reverse. I have a player just hooked to a TV with s-video and red/white analog audio and when I play a DVD containing 5.1 Surround it down-converts it to normal stereo and it plays through the normal TV fine.

- John

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
on Jan 25, 2003 at 7:44:44 pm

I have the exact same problem. I just posted a question "missing audio on DVD", and only then I read you message.

Our DVD players may have a weird behavior, as jgayman suggested, but it is still puzzling: If our authoring & burining software has created the right digital audio files indeed, why would the DVD player not put them through the S/PDIF as well?

I had the same problem with a purchased karaoke DVD. no sound through the S/PDIF, only through the good ole analog RCA jacks.

I tried to look at the DVD image created by the authoring software (I use Pinnacle Impression DVD Pro) but I don't know the DVD standard and all these VOB, NVP, PCI, SPT and AUD files tell me nothing. I'd like to check if indeed there are both analog audio AND digital audio files on the DVD I just burnt...

JP

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
on Jan 25, 2003 at 8:45:23 pm

Hi thompak,

Since again I don't understand the mysteries of the DVD standard, I can't explain the subtleties, but... I have solved my problem completely i.e. now I get sound through the S/PDIF.

Here's how: We suspected the player to do something weird. So I had to dive in the DVD player audio set-up. There, for "Dolby Digital" as well as for "MPEG2" audio, I had a selection between "bitstream" and "PCM". It was on bitstream, which always worked so far for all of my purchased DVD's. I turned it to "PCM".

Voila! Now it works for my home-burnt DVD and it still works for the purchased ones. I'm not sure what the "bitstream" selection is for.

Now I hope it will solve your problem too, since the symptoms really look the same.

Good Luck!
JP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]