FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Card

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope29
Capture Card
on Feb 23, 2003 at 8:16:02 pm

I'm looking for a capture card for less than $1000 for hobby purposes. My critical criteria are:

1. Digital and analogue capture.
2. Reliable card (I'm not a computer whiz, just a video hobbiest!)
3. DVD output capable (desirable).

The editing I will be doing involves school activities (e.g., sporting events, concerts--I'm a volunteer) and family videos.

I own a Gateway computer with two 80GB 7200 rpm drives (one reserved for video), 768MB of RAM and a 2.4GZ Pentium 4 processor. I own a Sony VX-2000 camera and a Panasonic AG-DV1000 Digital Video Cassette Recorder. My Hii-8 camcorder also is a Sony.

I have little experience in video editing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Hope 29

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: Capture Card
on Feb 23, 2003 at 10:16:23 pm

Why don't you buy the Pyro Platinum 1394 card that comes with all the software you need to edit and make DVD's for $259 and the DAC-100 for $199 that will do all your analogue -DV conversion to get your analogue input into the computer. Your computer is plenty fast enough for software encoding for DVD output so you don't really need a hardware card for DVD output and since Premiere comes with the Pyro card you can use the excellent MainConcepts encoder for MPEG2 output. The Pyro alos comes with Ulead DVD Workshop SE to author your DVD's. Since this total is only $458 you will have money over for a Pioneer AO5 DVD burner too.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 24, 2003 at 7:48:20 pm

The specs on the Sony VX-2000 say it has analog-digital conversion and pass through (or words to that effect) so you already have a device for digitizing analog video always assuming the digital camcorder is compatible with your operating system. The Panasonic at least has fire wire and analog in.

If you have a fire wire card on your computer, power up and plug the camcorder and VCR in one at a time and see what happens. If it offers to capture video with the Windows Movie Maker, all you need is good DV editing software.

Most experts recommend Pinnacle Studio for entry-level editing. One version of it comes with a fire wire card.

I (a non-expert) like Video Studio. ADS Pyro and ATI both offer fire wire cards bundled with Video Studio.

Both Video Studio 6/7 and Pinnacle Studio 8 have integrated DVD authoring software. I understand Studio 8's has more features.

Return to posts index

Hope29
on Feb 25, 2003 at 5:16:05 pm

Dear Ron,

I hadn't thought of that. Many thanks.

Regards,

Hope 29

Return to posts index

Hope29
on Feb 25, 2003 at 5:17:39 pm

Dear Kdaves,

Many thanks for the advice. I'll try the hookups and see how it works.

Regards,

Hope 29

Return to posts index

cangrejitoplayero
on May 22, 2003 at 7:58:06 pm

hi,
i need a card with these specifications + acceleration 3D for my 3D Games...is there an option to me?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]