FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has this happened to anyone else? (PC freeze&

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mr H
Has this happened to anyone else? (PC freeze&
by
on Feb 19, 2003 at 8:42:03 pm

I have three PCs running Pinnacle DV500Plus/Adobe Premiere in our school's TV production lab. For months they worked just fine, then--one at a time--they would no longer capture via firewire (DV in/out). In fact, the computer freezes up as soon as a DV device is connected. I have 5 different DC cameras and a DV playback deck, and none of them will doing anything but freeze up the computer. As a result, we capture everything via S-video input. That's okay, but it defeats the advantages of shooting DV.

I had assumed it was the computer at fault. But all three within a week's time?

I reformatted hard drives, reinstalled Win 2000 op system and editing hardware/software......nothing has fixed it.

Is it possible that a computer issue damaged all my DV devices and that's why my reformatting didn't fix it?

I have a friend who's Mac computer with Final Cuts Pro went bad and not only did the computer have to be fixed, but his camera and deck had to be repaired in order use DV in/out again. Maybe that has happened to me.

Any of you guys have a similar experience?

Return to posts index

bandjs
Re: Has this happened to anyone else? (PC fre
on Feb 19, 2003 at 10:12:36 pm

I had the exact same problem. When I switched the DV camera on the computer would freeze. Turned out to be a bad Firewire cable, an internal short I imagine. Have you tried a new cable? - Bandjs

Return to posts index

Mr H
by
on Feb 20, 2003 at 3:40:27 am

Actually, I have 5 cables...including a couple of brand new ones. None fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 24, 2003 at 8:51:07 pm

Sounds like you have a heat issue. If your machines are not properly ventilated and cooled the DV500 hardware can get very hot.

My guess is that this heat is causing a connection somewhere on the firewire part of the card to fail. If your cards are still under warranty with Pinnacle, try and get them replaced.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]