FORUMS: list search recent posts

Philips DVDR985

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus7864
Philips DVDR985
on Nov 22, 2002 at 12:51:07 am

Just purchased the Philips DVDR985; I get the copy-protected warning once I attempt to copy copy-protected DVDs. The unit appears to be recording, but it is not. Is there a way to get the unit to record the copy-protected DVDs? If not, which stand-a-lone unit will?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Philips DVDR985
on Nov 22, 2002 at 2:32:33 am

That's why it's called copy protection. The contents of commercial DVD's are encrypted with CSS and usually Macrovision. While there is software to rip the DVD, i.e. decrypt it, you still have the problem that commercial DVD's contain more than 4.7 GB, as they're dual layer. You can extract the data and reauthor the DVD, but it won't be the same as the original in quality or content.

By the time you waste doing all this and burning it on multiple 4.7 GB DVD+-R's, you'd be better off buying previously viewed movies for $10 at your local video store.

Return to posts index

fimduc
Re: Philips DVDR985
on Nov 22, 2002 at 3:12:32 am

I agree with that. There are several web sites that describe the ripping process to duplicate commercial DVD movies but it sure seems time consuming.

I have the DVD985 as well and find it to work very well for quickly archiving old VHS tapes of home home movies. I sure wish there was a straight forward way to edit the vob files on the PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]