FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVR-A05s are on the way!!!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DVR-A05s are on the way!!!!!
on Nov 21, 2002 at 1:54:44 am

We just got word from Pioneer our first shipment of DVR-A05 burners is on the way to us!Cool We should have them in our warehouse Friday or Monday. We have a bunch of back orders, but we are getting a good sized shipment. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to ship all orders placed in November from this first shipment!!
Gary
Videoguys.com

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

fimduc
Re: DVR-A05s are on the way!!!!!
on Nov 22, 2002 at 3:16:41 am

How about the Sony burner? Do you "guys" like it and sell it?

If you're shopping for a DVD-recordable drive, put the fast, flexible DRU-500A at the top of your list.

The good: Supports all four popular DVD-recordable formats; writes DVD-R at 4X and DVD-RW at 2X; great performance; affordable; generous software bundle.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 22, 2002 at 4:52:27 am

The Sony drive is cool. We may carry it when they become more available. But here is how we see it:

DVD-R is simply the best format for the video producer. The media is cheap, and it works great. The Pioneer DVD-R is proven technology and the most compatible format in the industry. I just don;'t see any point in +R. The media is more expensive and the compatibility is the lowest.

So now it's +RW vs -RW. Well the new A05 has a lot of cool features that are found in +RW drives:

Quick Format: Within just two minutes of formatting, DVD-RW discs are ready to use.
Quick Grow: DVD-RW discs can be un-finalized and data added to them.
Quick Finalizing: Small amounts of data less than 1GB can be finalized without extra lead-out writing

So I don't see any benefit now to +RW over -RW

As far as I see it, you pay a premium for the Sony, and all it gets you is the additional losing format. Why not save the $50 and just get the A05? The 5th generation drive with the proven track record. Now if the Sony drive were cheaper, that's a different story.

Gary
Videoguys.com

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Nov 22, 2002 at 11:36:44 am

Great! Looking forward to getting mine soon. Thanks.Joe.

Return to posts index

JimBask
on Nov 22, 2002 at 8:13:37 pm

This is not a test! A truck full of the new Pioneer DVR-A05s just showed up in our loading dock. This means if you already have one on order you should have it VERY soon. If you have been waiting to order now is the time... Call us at 800-323-2325 or order online.

Return to posts index

danothemano
on Nov 24, 2002 at 7:08:02 am

VideoGuy,

DVD-R is simply the best format for the video producer

What makes you say this? Show us the Unbiased evidence.

Don’t believe everything you read, especially on the Internet

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 25, 2002 at 9:19:10 pm

Hi Gary and everyone.

I sure do not want to rock anyone's boat; I am just seeking greater clarity.

What about Variable Bit Recording that the "plus" camp boasts as a decidedly superior way to produce videos to DVD's? And yet, I also hear that there can be some software buggy-boo issues about this. And then I hear that the advantage to the "dash" camp is that if one is interested in multiplying copies of a disc, that the DVD Mastering Houses work with the dash format, not plus.

And this is really a "Who knows what's what," but I have read reviews that reflect both satisfaction and dissatisfaction with either drive, so that they seem from my observation to be on par, if one is to lend credibility to these reviews.

Myself? I just want reasonable assurance I won't make coasters most of all. The way I see it, by the time this format wars is over, it will be time to upgrade to a new drive anyway, so that machs nichts. And yes, I do know all the tricks for at least CD recording-- sometimes, it really is the hardware/software.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 1, 2002 at 12:31:12 pm

The primary reason is rteal world results obtained by our customers - thousands of them with DVD-R burners.

Here are some additional reasons

1) COST OF MEDIA - DVD-R is the most inexpensive. You can get premium Pioneer DVD-Rs 10 for $35. Youc an find cheap off brand media for under 2 bucks in bulk. Multiply the savings per disk by the amount of DVDs you hope to sell/produce and the numbers can add up very quickly.

2) Compatibility. Several different mags and websites have commissioned studies. While +RW and -RW battle back and forth, the consistent winner is -R for overall compatibility. Our real- world usage supports this.

3) New 4x media in an A05 burns a full 4.7GB DVD in 15 minutes!!

4) Worldwide sales and market penetration. There are more DVD-R burners out in circulation. by a huge margin. Sony is part of the +R camp, yet they have refused to put a +R only drive in any of their VAIO computer systems. Now Sony adds -R to their units. Isn't this the biggest sign that the war is over and -R has won??

I'm not knocking the new Sony unit. Once they get all the kinks worked out (several firmware revisions to date) it will be a great option for those consumers who are willing to pay a premium for multi-format compatibility.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]