FORUMS: list search recent posts

Coffee Cup Coasters?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard
Coffee Cup Coasters?
on Nov 6, 2002 at 10:57:10 pm

Hi again, folks,

I need and appreciate your help as I sip on my coffee. I still need to buy my DVD Burner. I have researched both formats and several reviews and makers. And I must admit, my top priority is to avoid as many coasters as I can. I know you Videoguys advocate the Pioneers, but can you all guarantee me that I am apt to make fewer coasters with that than other alternatives?

I can live with slower times, uncertain futures, etc. I just want successful burning. I plan on using the plug-in authoring software that I got from you guys with Ulead's Media Studio Pro 6.5. Will this work well? Is Pioneer really the only way to go? Thanks.

Return to posts index

newguy
Re: Coffee Cup Coasters?
on Nov 6, 2002 at 11:26:32 pm

Pioneer is not the only thing to make DVD of course.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 6, 2002 at 11:54:14 pm

Thanks Newguy.

This kind of feels like voting day. I wonder what it is you like.

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 7, 2002 at 2:19:05 pm

Hi there
I too have been interested in getting a DVD burner and have been researching them latley. At first I thought the sony DVD burner sounded impressive and I was sceptical about the Pioneer. I thought that the videoguys might have been recommending pioneer cause they sell them, but after searching and reading reviews from consumers like my self all over the net I realized that videoguys carry pioneer cause at least for the moment they are the most dependable, problem free burners. They aren't the fastest but from the conclusion I've came to from reading numerous posts is that consumers are very happy with them, usually rating them at least 9 out of 10. People seem to have no trouble installing them (Unlike the sony model I looked into)and seem to have minimal harware/software conflicts if any. Some reviews I read were from people that have been using theres for 6 months and never had a single coaster! I was really impressed with what I read about them and if I do decide to get a burner for Christmas I will definatley go for pioneer! I encourage you to do your own research and read as many consumer reviews about them as possible cause obviously the companies (Sony, Pioneer, Hewlet Packard ...etc) are just going to tell you how good the burners are and not the headaches that they may cause. From what I was hearing, I would definatley stay away from HP. Most of the owners were frustrated and felt ripped off.
Anyways hope I helped a bit, and good luck finding a good burner to fit your needs!
Take care

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 7, 2002 at 2:41:26 pm

Once again, I thank you Ciabt.

Yes, I have also done a lot of research-- maybe too much, as I wound up getting more confused than when I started. It was hard to make heads or tails of it. I read both positive and negative for everything. One of the negatives I read about the "minus" media for example is that the outer edges of the discs can be problematic if you fill one up too much. But then I read more about how with these reviews, it's hard to tell who or what to believe because some folks get kickbacks for what they write, or they might even be a representative of a company speaking on behalf of one or against a competitor.

Anyway, your report certainly does help and offer me hope. I remember with my old Acer 4x4x32 CD-RW. I think I spent more on all those lovely coasters than I did for the unit itself! I finally gave it up.

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 7, 2002 at 3:17:05 pm

Hi there
Glad I could be of help. Yes I agree with you, you can only count on the consumer posts so much, as people do just post negative comments about competitor products, but I guess it does give you things to wonder about and look into further to see if they are infact true, or if other people are experiencing the same problems. Hopefully people will start being more honest and just posting their experiences with products in posts, this would indeed help out consumers everywhere.
Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 8, 2002 at 5:26:51 am

The new Pioneer DVR-A05 is the winner!

Why? Several reasons, the first and most important, this is Pioneers 5th generation DVD burner, nad all the previous 4 were the best available at the time they were produced. The A05 will add 4x burning - that;'s a whole DVD is 15 minutes, plus some very cool new features:

Quick Format: Within just two minutes of formatting, DVD-RW discs are ready to use.
Quick Grow: DVD-RW discs can be un-finalized and data added to them.
Quick Finalizing: Small amounts of data less than 1GB can be finalized without extra lead-out writing

A05 will hopefully start hitting our warehouse Nov 15th. We are taking back orders at $299.95. http://videoguys.com/pioneer.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

eddie
on Nov 8, 2002 at 7:22:22 am

From reading posts on others peoples experience with dvd burning, it seems that the problem is not really that the hardware is the problem but the people who don't understand how to use and setup the technology properly. For easy setup with no problems get the Pioneer. Other brands are okay too, but experience matters and Pioneer has that. Just make sure to check for compatibility issues with your system and the Pioneer or what ever brand you want.

How to avoid coasters:

1) Get the right media for your model burner people. Spend a little more for the quality rather then getting the best deal. Trial and error. Eg. Some cheopo brands work fine up to 3.5 gig then they fail after that point. for an extra 30 to 60 cents you could prevent that.

2) -R and +R are the most reflective, hence your best solution for compatibility across the board. -R has big advantage at this moment though cause of its low price and more brands to choose from, as well as higher write speeds. -RW and +RW have about 25 - 60% reflectivity, so they are a bit more iffy. EG. My old Sony DVP-S530 works great with either format though, -R and +RW.

3) Use the right authoring tools and understand how the basic file structure of a DVD works. Alot of people screw up here and they get coasters or once disk is written, their player does not recognize the disk. They jump the gun and blame the burner 1st, when instead they should look at how they authored the disk, and then suspect the media that they used.

Hope this helps some people.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 8, 2002 at 4:35:35 pm

Thank you, Gary.

I am strongly considering it.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 8, 2002 at 4:38:12 pm

Thank you Eddie. Do you know or recommend where I can check for compatability issues?

Return to posts index

eddie
on Nov 9, 2002 at 1:43:32 am

Not clear on what your really looking for but I got an idea. For set-top dvd players and media visit http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers and http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdmedia, respectively.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 9, 2002 at 2:53:51 am

Wow! Those are really neat resources, Eddie, thank you. Actually, what I meant from the way I understood you was compatibility with the other hardware in my computer system. I guess I already have learned painfully enough that some things just play well with others and some things do not. ...Funny, really; some people swear by things, some swear at things!-- and it can be the same darn thing!

Return to posts index

nocoasters
Re: No More Coffee Cup Coasters?
on Nov 19, 2002 at 1:31:40 am

Want fewer coasters? The easy solution to the problem starts and ends with disc surfaces. The VideoGuys should know this. The place to get clear of this problem is through the use of Thin film coatings for optical media. you can get them here or ask the Videoguys to bring them in.
http://www.cdplayright.com

Reviews at dvdadvisor.com and Burnworld .com

Take my word for it, simply the best way to head off coasters before they happen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]