FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning question: Which IDE channel for DVD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard
Burning question: Which IDE channel for DVD?
on Nov 5, 2002 at 5:13:09 am

Hi everyone,

Okay, I understand the OS goes as Primary Master, the video storage drive goes as Secondary Master, but will you please tell me where the DVD burner goes-- primary or secondary slave? Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Burning question: Which IDE channel for DVD?
on Nov 5, 2002 at 6:08:22 am

With my X100, my primary slave is the export drive, and the secondary slave is the A03. The transfer rates are low enough that I don't think it matters.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 5, 2002 at 6:17:21 am

Thank you, John. That's interesting, because I am currently set up just as you describe (except that I only have a dvd-rom drive in place at the moment, not a rewriter). I thought I read something about faster ide talking on different channels, but I hope someone could clarify all this.

Return to posts index

Mitch_Videoguys
on Nov 5, 2002 at 5:34:12 pm

We recommend you keep your hardrives on the primary IDE controller & keep your Pioneer drive on your Secondary Controller as a Master

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
Mitchell Schlesinger xt 122
Home of the Desk Top Video Handbook On Line http://www.videoguys.com
All DTV purchases include FREE tech support and 30 day satisfaction
guarantee

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 6, 2002 at 6:46:55 am

My X100 drive configuration is:

IDE1 MAS boot drive
IDE1 SLA export drive
IDE2 MAS video drive
IDE2 SLA Pioneer A03

All hard drives are IBM ATA100 7200 rpm. I'm running Windows XP, as required by the X100 running on a dual Athlon MP 2100. XP seems to be able to handle the speed mix on IDE2 without conflict. On XP, the A03 runs under Multi-Word DMA Mode 2. The hard drives run under Ultra DMA Mode 5.

In use, I capture my DV to the video drive, which requires continuous throughput to avoid dropped frames. Having the video drive on IDE2 avoids conflicts with the boot drive on IDE1 and Windows during realtime capture.

After I've edited the video, I perform a realtime export to DVD format (MPEG2 IBP) from the video drive to the export drive.

I then author the DVD using the source m2v and wav files from the export drive to a DVD build folder back on the video drive.

You see. For maximum throughput, I'm always transferring from one IDE channel to another.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 6, 2002 at 6:49:49 pm

Mitch and John, thank you.

This is really interesting. What Mitch says correlates with all I have read in my installation manuals for my drives. But what you suggest John, also makes very good sense to me. I'd sure love to hear more about this in favor of one way or another.

I may be reporting some terrible ignorance here, but I seem to remember hearing that the secondary IDE is a slower channel, that one can even slow down the performance of one's computer by arranging drives in certain ways. But I see where you have 3 hard drives, John. Maybe that's your secret?

I'd sure like to hear more for sure. Thanks.

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 7, 2002 at 1:58:50 pm

I think both are right, John has the Matrox RTX100 as do I and in the booklet it tells you to set your drives up this way in order to have realtime preformance and realtime export to mpeg2. If you don't have the Matrox RTX100 or 3 hard drives Mitch is right, you should put your dvd burner on the primary master.
Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 7, 2002 at 2:23:36 pm

That helps a great deal and makes it much clearer for me. Thank you so very much Ciabt. I really like the idea of it.

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 7, 2002 at 3:17:57 pm

Your perfectly welcome, glad I could clear things up!
Take care

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 8, 2002 at 5:46:38 am

When I still had my RT2000, my video drive was still secondary master as now, but my A03 was primary slave. The secondary IDE bus runs at the same speed as the primary.

In the early days of IDE, the IDE channel was limited to run at the speed of the slowest device on that channel. With the newer high speed ATA specs and chipsets, I don't think that's true any longer. My experience with my X100 seems to bear that out.

The one limitation IDE/ATA still has is that only one drive can communicate at a time, so I still recommend putting your video capture drive on the secondary IDE channel.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 8, 2002 at 4:43:49 pm

Thank you, John, I am really tempted to try that. I already have two drives and was considering getting one of those WD Special Edition drives with the 8MB cache to use for the video capture. Sound like a winner? (No RAID or anything though-- and my other two drives are both WD Ultra ATA 100's at 7200, 40GB).

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 9, 2002 at 2:02:49 am

When I bought my RT2000, I used an IDE RAID controller. While it was supposed to be dramatically faster than a standalone drive, it really wasn't, since it turned out to really be a software-type RAID. The real reason I needed it then, was the largest IDE hard drive I could buy was 27 GB. The 2-drive RAID brought the total up to 54 GB, which was usable for editing video projects.

Today, you don't need RAID for capacity with 120 GB 7200 rpm ATA100 hard drives readily available. The typical large, fast ATA hard drive can handle sustained read/write speeds of 27 GB/sec at the inner track, which is what really counts. A single DV stream uses 3.6 GB/sec, so the 8 MB buffer is only 2 seconds of video. The drive has to be able to write this data continuously to the the disk. If you use the same IDE channel as the boot drive, Windows can hold onto the IDE bus long enough to cause dropped frames on your video drive. If you use the boot drive for video, the head stepping back and forth will cause even more dropped frames.

Head stepping is also the reason you need to clean up your video drive periodically by running the defragger. A highly fragmented video drive can have the same problem with excessive head stepping causing dropped frames.

And finally, be sure to turn Windows 2000/XP drive indexing service off on your video drives. While this speeds up opening files on your boot drive, it will slow down writing files on your video drives.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 9, 2002 at 2:43:54 am

Now that is really fascinating, John. I gather, then, that it's really mostly a matter of continuous throughput, and not necessarily speed-- at least for this part of it. Hence, it does not necessarily behoove me to make the third hard drive a special edition?

What I find very interesting is that people with blazing fast processors etc., (and you do have my heart-felt sympathy if this applies to anyone reading), is that they still can have problems with capturing video and dropped frames and all that, while someone with a relative "tortoise" can be snug as a bug in a rug. What the heck???

If you would be so kind, as I am just going to upgrade to Windows XP for the first time here shortly, will you or someone please tell me how I would turn the indexing service off on my video drives?

Thanks a million. This is so helpful to me, and you are most kind to take time to respond.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 9, 2002 at 10:36:18 pm

Yes, video capture and playback for recording back on video or DV tape requires continuous streaming I/O. If it hangs for even an instant, you have dropped frames, where the video freezes and the audio turns into a squawk. That's why the buffer size doesn't matter much. If you can't read from or write to the physical disk in time, you get dropped frames.

Open the drive properties. You'll see a checkbox for the Indexing Service that's checked by default. Just uncheck it.

Now blazing fast performance is nice for rendering some video, although I haven't had to do any recently, since I got my X100. (By the way, my RT2000 with a 700 MHz PIII had realtime preview and would only render transitions on export.) And my transcoding for DVD used to be a very time consuming process, but the X100 does that in realtime as well. The place where processor speed helps for me now is DVD authoring. I just wish DVDit PE would support dual processors.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 9, 2002 at 11:59:40 pm

Thanks a million, John. It sounds like I could get buy with my present PIII 1000 @133MHz, albeit a bit more slowly, but nonetheless every bit as reliably as a faster processor. Please correct me if I am wrong or I misunderstand. I do appreciate all your help; this is great.

Return to posts index

Time4aPint
on Nov 11, 2002 at 1:32:28 am

Just to add...

I used a PII 333 with 192 Meg of RAM, a generic capture card, generic editing software, and a 60 Gig HD to edit 9 hours worth of RAW video. I had zero dropped frames. However, I won't do that again, because it took me forever to create a finished product.

I'm currently building a new (faster, better) editing PC around the Matrox RT.X100. Laughing

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 11, 2002 at 4:44:23 am

Thanks for sharing that one with me Time4aPint. Now that really is remarkable. I guess that redefines the meaning of "real time." Anyway, I guess there is hope for me yet, whatever I do.

Best of luck to you with your new Matrox system. Sounds very exciting. Laughing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]