FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD quality for post-editing

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terje J. Hanssen
DVD quality for post-editing
on Oct 20, 2002 at 8:27:29 pm

I plan to preserve my Hi8 videos on MPEG2/4.7 Gb DVDs. But does really MPEG2/DVD also 'preserve the Hi8 video quality' when I later decode/uncompress the DVD video for postediting? And which MPEG2 settings (bitrates, 60 min or 120 min DVD) are suggested to preserve the corresponding Hi8 quality if possibly?

Most of my original Hi8 tapes are 90 minutes, some are 60 min and a few are 120 min. It isn't necessary that each tape fit on a single DVD disk, though it could be practically for typically the 90 min tapes.

I have Pinnacle DV500 DVD with Impression 2.2 Se and Premiere 6.5 with DVDit. My DVD burner are hp dvd-writer dvd100i which only burns DVD+RW disks 4.7 GB disks.

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: DVD quality for post-editing
by
on Oct 21, 2002 at 10:16:44 pm

Anytime you compress and uncompress, you will have significant generational losses. There is really no good way to mpeg2 encode and then uncompress and edit and re-encode and still end up with quality video. If you had enough hard drive space, you could save the captured files to HD as DV/avi (which is compressed as well, but much less so than mpeg2). I currently do this with two Raytoc external firewire dual drawer bays that I can hot swap drawers in/out. Each drawer has a 120 gig 7200rpm hard drive (close to 230 gigs per dual bay), and I have about a terabyte of storage overall. Such convenience comes at the expense of the cost of such bays and drawers/drives; but with the huge hard drive capacities of late at relatively low cost per gigabyte, it isn't that expensive.

Return to posts index

Terje J. Hanssen
Re: DVD quality for post-editing
on Oct 23, 2002 at 11:32:01 pm

Thank you for answering. DVD/MPEG2 looks to be only a distribution media/videoformat for end-users. If I understand your reply right, DVD/MPEG2 is not useable for saving and preserving Hi8/SVHS quality videofootage for later postediting. A usual description which can be of some confusion is that DVD video playback is comparable with SVHS video quality. But that is for playback and not for postediting.

The conclusion must be that we still need the tapes with life time limited archieving and backup, for preserving the original video quality for postediting purposes. The long life DVD media is not yet the universal video media for postediting. If the future, higher capacity DVD formats can save 1 hour or more of DV25 video, they solve both the quality and life time problem.

Remarkable that this issue has been so little discussed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]