FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to make my 1st DVD, need some help......

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skybox
Trying to make my 1st DVD, need some help......
on Oct 9, 2002 at 3:25:38 am

I have been searching all over the net trying to get answers to my question, this is it:

After capturing video footage of one of my son's football games (runs about 1:50) I find out about this "size" limitation. I am running Win98Se Fat32. How can I get this football game on the disk in its entirety? Do I have to capture a bunch of small clips and then link them somehow? When I captured the video, I just set it up and let it run for 1:50 minutes, then I see about 10 video files each about 2 gig in size. If you burn these to disk, will the disk play these as one video, or does it play them individually?
Man, this is so confusing.

I was under the impression you just record it, up to 2 hours, then burn it to DVD, obviously it ain't that simple.

Do I have to swtitch over to Win2K? I hate to think what problems that will create trying to convert everything (drivers and such).

I would sure appreciate some guidance on this if someone is willing to help a "newbie" here.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: Trying to make my 1st DVD, need some help.....
on Oct 9, 2002 at 10:31:10 am

Well, in your case, switching to 2000 pro would be a heck of alot eaiser than XP. If you want a drivers nightmare from the twilight zone, get XP. However, You should have no problems with 2000. It will recognize all your hardware with no problems. Then you can format your Harddrive to NTFS instead of fat 32 for unlimited capture. After that problem is solved and assuming you already have a DvD burner, you will need to convert your edited avi footage to Mpeg 2 for the burn. To do that you will need another software host to encode avi to mpeg 2. The choices are many. If you have adobe premeir 6.02 and for 199.00, upgrade to 6.5, you will have a beautiful mpeg 2 encoder built in and can export your timeline directly to it's encoder. Then open up the DvD it LE (Which comes with 6.5 and it will take your Mpeg 2 project and do the final burn to DvD. However, if you do not have Premier, You can purchase DvD it SE. It has a fine Mpeg 2 encoder as well as the final burn all in one for about 299.00. Just import your avi files to SE and thats it.
But for now, you'll have to be content with capturing 2 gig files at a time and sting them together to make a project. There is another solution. If you haven't purchased a DvD Burner yet, get the Panasonic LF-D321. It comes with the Panasonic DV editing/capture software which captures the entire project and splits them up automatically into several 2 gig sections. You then click and drag them in the order they were captured into the timeline. Click record, choose Mpeg 2, let it encode your avi project to Mpeg 2, open up DvD it Le (which comes with the burner),
import your Mpeg 2 project and make the final burn.
Good luck

Return to posts index

skybox
on Oct 9, 2002 at 12:10:16 pm

So, by using Win2k, you aren't restricted to those 2 gig limits, is that right? I happen to have Win2k Pro, but have just been putting off using it until I had to.

Unfortunately, already bought a burner, Sony DRU120A, so the Panasonic drive is out.

You mention Premier and DVD IT SE, and of course I don't have either one of those, I have Ulead Video Studio 5 and 6, and I have DVD Movie Factory, and I have Neo DVD. Will either of those work as well as the two you mentioned?

Thanks for the information, looks like I am going to have to spend even more money! :-(

Return to posts index

Time4aPint
on Oct 9, 2002 at 2:11:35 pm

Hmmm. I have loaded XP (Pro) on several PCs (with some odd hardware installed) and I never had any problems with drivers.

I guess your mileage may vary. Cool

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Oct 9, 2002 at 11:51:49 pm

What hardware and software are you using to capture the video? From your description, it sounds like your capture utility is breaking the video up into separate files every 2GB. Some capture programs, including the Studio DC-10 (I believe it is called Studio AV 7 now), will automatically create a new file when the 2GB file size limit for Video For Windows AVI is reached. As far as I know, neither VS5 or VS6 permit that. I do not know about Movie Factory or NeoDVD. Try stringing the files together in VS6 and see what happens. Also, check the configuration of your capture utility to see if you have the option of creating new files at set intervals. The max file size of any kind in a FAT32 system is 4GB.

Before you upgrade your operating system to either 2000 or XP, make sure your hardware will run on the OS. There are a lot of analog capture cards that will not work with either. If you plan on doing a lot of editing, in the long run you would be better off upgrading. XP is not a “nightmare”, but some older hardware (including some older DV camcorders) will not work with it because the manufacturers have/could not develop XP drivers. And, since you already have a copy of Windows 2000,....

You will either need to capture the video as DVD-compliant
Mpeg 2 or convert it to DVD-compliant Mpeg 2 in one of your programs. Video Studio 6 and Movie Factory will do it I know. If you are capturing Mpeg 2, make sure the DVD (NTSC DVD in the U.S.)
template is used. For 1 hour and 50 minutes of video you will need to do the encoding at about 6000 kilobits/sec variable bit rate or lower. Try setting your video to 5000kbs, vbr with LPCM audio to give yourself the best chance of creating a watchable DVD.

Return to posts index

skybox
on Oct 10, 2002 at 1:15:37 am

Wow, thanks for the advice kdaves I appreciate that. I just got myself a new piece of software, I have Adobe Premier 6.5 so I am planning on using that to do my DVD creation. Haven't had time to look it over real close, but it appears that this will do the capture and the conversion both. I am also going to convert to Win2K. My capture card by the way is the Radeon 7500 all in wonder which does have drivers for Win2k so I don't think that will be any problem.

Especially appreceiate the advice on the bit rate, I wasn't sure what that was all about and I will try the 5kbits and the audio suggested.

I have another question on the Sony Dru120a drive but I think I will post that as another question.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Oct 10, 2002 at 12:51:54 pm

Which codec are you using to capture your video? Mpeg 2? VS6 will work with ATI All-In-Wonder Mpeg. I do not know about Premiere. Have you been satisified with the quality of the ATI video and have you experienced audio-video synchronization problems with it? Please let us know if you do.

Return to posts index

skybox
on Oct 14, 2002 at 6:26:17 pm

Well, MPEG2 is what I am hoping to use. I really haven't had any chance to use this thing yet, I am trying to get my computer set up to dual boot between win2k and win98se. Had to back a bunch of crap up, and reformat, and I just now got the 2 systems up and running with my sound and video drivers. It's probably going to be the end of the week yet before I can try any of this stuff.

Can't answer your question yet, but I will, eventually here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]