FORUMS: list search recent posts

.img vs .vob vs .mp2 files

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve_avs
.img vs .vob vs .mp2 files
on Oct 2, 2002 at 9:03:10 am

I've just started using Impression SE (bundled with DV500 DVD card) and just burned my first succesful DVD yesterday (ya!).

When Impression outputs to DVD format it seems to create a .img file in addition to all the _ts and other folders containing .vob and .aob files. In effect this takes up twice as much space as it needs to on my hard drive, in addition to all the original .AVI and MP2 files as well, right?

My question is this- If I want to keep these files temporarily, so that I can burn additional copies, is there any recommendation on which ones to keep? It seems to me the .img file makes the most sense to keep as it is all in one, however if for some reason I want to make some slight change then I need to get the .mp2 files again. Whats the most flexible solution without taking up too much HD space?

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: .img vs .vob vs .mp2 files
by
on Oct 2, 2002 at 11:38:03 am

The image file is the best to keep if you wanted to make exact copies of your original work. However, if you wanted to make changes to your project down the road, you can't alter the image file and if you've deleted your original mpeg files (m2v,mp2,etc), then you wouldn't be able to do so without a bit of hassle trying to extract your mpeg files out of the dvd video file (vob) on your disc. One option would be to save your mpeg files for now, until you determine you don't need them; and burn at least one dvd of your project. If it's a really important project, or one you spent a lot of time working on, then burn 2 discs and use name brand media. Down the road if you want a copy you could take one of those discs and create an image file of your disc with one of the third party burning applications (such as Primo DVD, RecordNow Max, etc), which generally came bundled with your burner, and burn new copies from that image file.

Return to posts index

steve_avs
Re: .img vs .vob vs .mp2 files
on Oct 3, 2002 at 2:18:30 am

Thanks for the reply WTS.

So I guess the bottom line is that I can keep the original DVD to use as a master and do a straight copy using the burning application directly. If I need to change the DVD content or menu's etc, I'll need the .mp2 files again. If I need to change the original video, I'll need all the raw .avi and .wav files as well. Now I am starting to see the high value in using a good quality DVD-RW as the master. This way I can make any changes several times over if necessary, and once I've got it locked down, burn copies from there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]