FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pioneer PRV-9000 Quality?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Fickas
Pioneer PRV-9000 Quality?
on Sep 25, 2002 at 6:19:22 am

I need input on the Pioneer PRV-9000 for burning DVD's direct from tape sources (VHS, SVHS, Mini DV) for commercial use. Is this unit worth the money ($2,000)? How is the performance, ease of use? Are the produced discs usually compatable? Or is there another brand/model that is a better overall value?

Return to posts index

leebo
Re: Pioneer PRV-9000 Quality?
on Sep 30, 2002 at 11:12:39 pm

I have posted many times about this deck over at vcdhelp.com under the name leebo.

I actually have the 7000, which is exactly the same except for the color and BNC in/outputs.

As long as you record in the 1 or 2 hour "video" modes, the discs will play on almost any player (blank media brand compatability is a whole other issue - also discussed at vcdhelp.com).

The video mode is CBR. Recording in VBR provides greater flexability and picture quality, but the "VR" files are not very compatable with other players.

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
on Oct 10, 2002 at 1:50:22 pm

I got a PRV-9000 for $1649 from N.I.C.E. last week. Delivered in two days, no hassles, factory sealed. Decent shipping box.

I got the unit after a temporary job at a TV transmitter site. They use six of these units. They record programs to air later. The quality is right there with Beta SP in video mode (V1) which only allows for 1 hours recording but it is real time.

If you're doing DVD's, the unit is WELL worth the money. You can get a similar unit at, i.e. Best Buy for several hundred less, but they are consumer versions and I don't think they have all the I/O's that the 9000 has. I use Pioneer blanks and haven't seen a disk not play on another player yet. I've tried them in several brands.

Your post was a couple weeks ago. Did you decide yet?

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Concerning Record Times
on Oct 10, 2002 at 1:55:48 pm

I wanted to clarify something. Don't get hung up on the 1 hour record thing. There are a LOT of settings on this thing. If you record 2 hours, you still get a great picture quality. The TV station I mentioned just defaults to the highest quality for their broadcast purposes.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Dave Fickas
on Oct 10, 2002 at 6:18:42 pm

AlwaysLearning,

No, I haven't decided yet, but I'm getting closer. I'm still collecting info on different units. Please check my post of Oct. 9 re: ?Video & Film to DVD Hardware.

Thanks for your input.

Dave Fickas

Return to posts index

leebo
on Oct 10, 2002 at 10:49:38 pm

Hey Always,

Don't take this as a flame, but I'm wondering how much experience you have evaluating picture quality.
The reason I ans is because I have this unit, and I think the quality in "Video" mode leaves a lot to be desired.

The two hour mode is terrible, and the one hour mode is barely passible, to my eyes.
The digital artifacting in both "video" modes sucks.

I just dont see how you can compare it to Betacam quality.

I do like the quality in "VR" mode however.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my unit.

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
on Oct 11, 2002 at 3:51:26 am

Hi leebo.
Hey, no flames taken. :)

I hope for your sake there is nothing wrong with your unit and that there is just some setting somewhere that isn't right.

I have opportunity almost everyday to see Beta SP and V1 in video mode on the PRV-9000 compared as this TV station uses both. I switch for 9 hours a day between the two. I cannot see a difference. I am not the most experienced videographer in the world, to be sure, but I've been at it for 8 years. I do get very picky about both image quality and audio.

VR is fine but not real compatible with other players. There are 32 levels you can choose from in VR mode. If you have the manual, look at the table on page 39. Level 1 is the longest recording time (360 minutes), but the crummiest quality. Down at level 21 (120 minutes), they show it being SP quality. Then you get level 32 and it is the highest quality, but only 61 minutes. If you use the DV I/O port, levels 1-8 won't even work. It defaults to level 9. You can go higher, but not less than 9.

V1 recordings in Video mode are the same quality as level 32 (highest quality) in VR mode. V2 is the same as level 21 (SP) in VR mode. Like the manual says, again on page 39, fast moving objects in a scene recorded in V2 mode may show some artifacts.

I would review the manual starting on page 38-40. If you still get video that is only "barely passable", then you may need to return it. :(

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

leebo
on Oct 11, 2002 at 5:41:54 am

Well, I don't know.

I definetly do not see Beta SP quality in the Video 1 setting. And I saw that mention of comparisons between Video 1 and VR 32.

The thing is, VR mode is varable bit rate and the two video modes are constant bit rate, so how can they say that?

And the various video recording adjustments you can make do not work when recording through the Firewire input, so the mpeg artifacts are even more noticable that way.

I purchased my unit through an on-line retailer several months ago, so returning it isn't an option.

I assume bringing it into a Pioneer service center would incur a minimum charge, and then they'd probably just tell me there is nothing wrong with it.

Return to posts index

Dave Fickas
on Oct 11, 2002 at 5:49:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your continued discussions and comments on this topic. I'm learning a lot about this machine and comparable ones from this and other forums and reviews that I read. I'm looking for an "industrial quality" unit for my business and the PRV-9000 seems to be just that.

Thanks

Dave Fickas

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
on Oct 18, 2002 at 3:59:47 pm

Dave, did you find one yet? Did you get one yet?
I'm interested in your opinions about it.
I paid $1649 (plus $50 shipping) at N.I.C.E.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

ProDVD_Authoring
on Dec 19, 2002 at 12:17:09 am

Hi PRV 9000 Users:
I'm very interested in your thread as I am also in the market for one of these table top DVD Recorders. I love the excellent quality and dependability of Pioneer products but I'm no fan of the company's ridiculous marketing strategies as other posts to this forum have already attested to.
Don't you think Pioneer has made a dumb mistake by marketing two IDENTICAL table top DVD recorders performance and features wise for two VERY different prices ? I mean I just can't understand it ??? Why ?? When I asked Pioneer why they chose to do this, they answered my question by making a point to assure me they won't honour my warrantee if I purchase the Pioneer "Elite" products version and use it for my buisness !!! I too, have been carefully reading user reviews of these two machines in particular and the only difference between them is that the DVR 7000 does not have BNC connectors but does have RCA ones for the same type of component output. Why not simply buy the cheaper one ($1,500.00 $ cheaper in my market)and spend a few dollars on RCA female composite to BNC converters at Radio Shack and go that way ?
Also, why the heck are the Pioneer table top recorders so freakin expensive ???? The Panasonic HS2 has a built in 40 gig hard drive plus DVD Ram and DVD R and uses a very nice Variable Bit Rate encoder while recording a DVD R for a MUCH cheaper price than the Pioneer ???? The Panasonic also has a DV input ??? Go figure ???

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]