FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding question?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Foy
Encoding question?
on Sep 18, 2002 at 2:33:36 pm

Hi guys, I have just finished building my first computer. I plan to use it only to encode, as my editing computer is working fine and I didn't want to fix what wasn't broke. I've covered all the basics and so far the computer is working fine. Both computers have removable hard drives, so I'll be able to move my project(s) from the editing computer, over to the one that I intend to encode Mpeg2 for DVD, whew!
My question is. Would having the system drive on a "Promise FastTrack Raid O" , have any effect on encoding speed? I want to use 2 western Digital 100gb hard drives in a raid setup. My editing computer has a Promise card in a raid O configuration, but only for captures. I render and save my projects to another drive. I've just never seen this question posted and I would like some feedback. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Milton Foy
Re: Encoding question?
on Sep 18, 2002 at 2:49:40 pm

I guess I want to know if it would be faster with the OS and application software istalled on a raid?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Encoding question?
on Sep 19, 2002 at 12:54:02 am

Theoretically, it would be faster with the video files on a RAID, as reading and writing the video files requires higher disk throughput than the OS and application.

Streaming video capture is more than satisfied by the throughput of a regular ATA66/100 7200 rpm hard drive. A RAID won't be any faster, as the limiting factor is the video transfer rate from the camera.

I don't know if you'd see any improvement with a RAID during transcoding, but I doubt it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]