FORUMS: list search recent posts

WTS, did DVDit import Ligos mpeg2 in your test?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SCO
WTS, did DVDit import Ligos mpeg2 in your test?
by
on Sep 12, 2002 at 9:55:53 pm

From an older post, you were going to try importing the ligos output with DVDit. Were you able to do this? I got the recent Ligos 100.00 plugin (was 249.00) and have not had success other than importation of a 10 second mpeg2 clip into DVDit. Hasnt worked so far for 10 minute clips Ive tried. I am doing testing to get to the bottom of this but thought I'd see how it went for you. My error is that the files are not a compatible format per DVDit. My system is similar to yours, dual 400 PII's (supermicro p6dge), W2K, Premiere 6.01, DVDit SE 2.5, Ligos plugin LSX-MPEG 2.01, Pioneer 104.

Have learned a lot from your posts. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: WTS, did DVDit import Ligos mpeg2 in your test
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 12:40:19 am

I was able to successfully import mpeg files from Ligos new Premiere plug-in into DVDit PE ver 2.3. What were the settings you used in Ligos. You have to do a few things to get it to be compatible. In the export movie splash screen, click on load and select the ligos setting for dvd assets (in my case NTSC). I would select VBR and use the presets of 4500 average and 8000 max. Enable the 'do not multiplex' option at the bottom. Go to 'group of pictures' tab, and leave the default for the sequence field, click on the headers option, and choose 'all GOPs closed' even though ligos rec's against it, and put sequence headers before every GOP at the bottom. On detect, any of the three will do, use the bottom one for general purposes. Click on 'OK' at the bottom, and you will be brought back to the Premiere export movie splash screen, click on 'next' and go to the video settings and select the pixel aspect for D1/DV, go 'next' to the audio tab and select uncompressed wave, go 'next' to keyframe and rendering and select lower field first. Click on 'OK' at the bottom and encode your video and see if the files work. You will get a separate audio and video file, just import both of them into DVDit, drag and drop your video onto one of the dvd menu backgrounds, and then drag and drop the audio on top of the movie icon.

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 3:05:35 pm

WTS, thanks for responding. I will keep this short because I think I am on to something and will have a test completed in about 2 hours. I was able to load my test ligos mpeg2 clip this morning. I did not use the batch process premiere feature on this one. I use the DVD ligos presets and check most of what you did, but went with the multiplexed mpeg1 audio(default), and used the default VBR and GOP settings. By the way, my default ligos DVD ntsc output calls for 720x480 and square pixels???, so I changed to D1/DV like you. I am running the same clip again now with the premiere batch process because none that I have made to date with the batch process can be loaded into dvdit, and I have been careful with the target settings. I will see if there is something about the batch process render that is causing the files to be incompatible with dvdit. Will get back later.

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 4:12:26 pm

I would caution you on the mpeg audio. It is not a universal audio spec for NTSC dvd's, and there are set top players that won't play back your disc because of that. Also, Ligos had a problem with enabling error protection with the mpeg audio encoding, and several dvd authoring applications won't accept the file because of that (you will often get a 'CRC' error message). You need to put sequence headers before every GOP, or you will have an illegal file, and I would rec. closing every GOP (even though the encoding efficiency might not be quite as good--they will just work better in your dvd authoring application). The elementary stream option is the best way to go IMO with the Ligos encoder because you get a compliant wave (uncompressed PCM) audio file and video stream. I have used the batch processing option with Ligos with a my own 'preset' based on these parameters and have not had a problem that I know of related to batch processing.

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 4:49:27 pm

Agreed with the audio. Dvdit demuxes to PCM anyway so why not do it right up front and save the extra processing! I have the results of my test and I cannot drop the batch created file onto the pallet. The file size is exactly the same as the non batch created file down to the bit. They both play the same on the windows player. There is some problem with the batch creation. I am going to make a smaller test project, and try your parameters. Will post later. Thanks again for your help. Did you batch process an mpeg2 with ligos and successfully import it with the DVDit Authoring software, or are you refering to reel DVD and Impressions? BTW, I don't know what you mean about adding sequence headers and closing GOP's. Is this something I can specify with ligos or edit into the file?

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 6:39:09 pm

This is a head scratcher. Still cannot get batch produced multiplexed audio mpeg2 file to load into DVDit, but can load direct export produced multiplexed audio mpeg2 file into DVDit.

When I create the seperate audio and video files by the batch process, I can load the files into DVDit. I have tried inspecting the files to see any differences with wordpad and can see no diff, but of coarse the files are huge, and I would need some kind of comparison program to check to find the difference in the files. I looked at the beginning and ends of the files. I cant see any attribute or file parameter diff. Well, I am not going to worry about it since I need to create seperate vid and audio anyway. Thanks again WTS, and if you are inclined and get the time I wonder if you could reproduce the same error. The only thing I test is whether I can drop the multiplexed mpeg2 file on the theme pallet in DVDit.

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Sep 13, 2002 at 11:12:58 pm

I haven't used multiplexed files for some time for two reasons:
1. I use ReelDVD and it requires elementary streams.
2. Mpeg1 layer2 audio is a format not supported by the dvd specs for NTSC dvd discs. It would require me to recompress the audio again to AC3 (2 lossy compressions and potential loss of quality) or 'un' compress the file back to wave (which I would be better off just creating in the first place and not suffer quality loss because of compression/uncompression). I had problems in the past when I used the old Ligos encoder because of the mpeg audio stream and gave up trying to fix it (because wave files worked just fine). I do batch processing of elementary files with Ligos all the time and for the most part haven't had any problems. Every once and a while my system may stall or hang on encoding a particular file, but on the whole the batch utility and Ligos has worked well with the set up I use. I'll try and see if I can recreate the problem, but since I do my authoring on ReelDVD, I don't use DVDit anymore (except to test things like this out) :>)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]