FORUMS: list search recent posts

File size limit on Nero

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nickno
File size limit on Nero
on Aug 21, 2002 at 11:29:52 am

I have got my first home movie captured and edited on Studio and have come to write it to DVD using Nero 5.5.9.0 and it wont let me copy the .avi files because they are larger than 2GB. Does this mean that I will have to re-capture all the files again in smaller files, or is there a way round it. (My files are between 1.5 and 3GB in size)

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: File size limit on Nero
on Aug 22, 2002 at 3:16:55 am

Copying the AVI files to DVD won't make it a DVD that can be played on a DVD player.

You need to author the DVD using another program, like MyDVD, DVDit, etc, and create the menu structure. The authoring program will create the files needed by the DVD player.

A DVD movie requires two directories, AUDIO_TS (always empty) and VIDEO_TS (containing the VOB, IFO, and BUP files). The large files containing the multiplexed video and audio are VOB files, which will automatically be 1 GB each or less.

Return to posts index

nickno
on Aug 23, 2002 at 12:35:37 am

Sorry John Q, I have got things all mixed up. What I actually meant was that while trying to learn this new material, I was going to put the movies that i had already created as an AVI file onto a DVD as a backup for future use. I have already tried to use MyDVD but it didn't turn out right as the audio didn't record on the last chapter even though it worked when i played the Mpeg through Media Player. Until I get a bit more Hard Disk space I was only trying to store the AVI's till I had fully worked out how to do it properly

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 23, 2002 at 4:43:51 am

Yes, you need lots of space to edit video. When authoring in MyDVD or any other package, the software needs to transcode and demultiplex the video and audio as needed, so you can instantly use another 4+ GB of disk space. Then it multiplexes the transcoded files and writes the DVD folder containing the VOB files, consuming another 4+ GB. Then it burns the DVD and throws all those temporary files away.

A similar phenomenon occurs when burning a CD or DVD. The burning software will scan the file structure and build the track image that it actually burns, 750 MB for a CD and 5 GB for a DVD, also throwing this away after the disk is burned.

I assume that you're also using a drive formatted in FAT32 on Win9x, which has a limit of 2 GB per AVI. You can go up to 4 GB with some software for FAT32 on Win2k or XP. If you are running Win2k or XP, then you can simplify editing dramatically, as its NTFS format has no filesize limit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]