FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture for DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cnm2000
Capture for DVD
on Aug 13, 2002 at 7:46:07 pm

I would like to know the best way of capturing dv video. I have a 110minute project that I would like to edit, then output to vhs and also DVD. I was wondering if i should capture using mpeg2 or AVI. I would like the best looking results for both vhs and dvd. So should i capture at MPEG2 8 bits, 4 bits (so everything fits on a dvd), or AVI. I really dont know how rendering from one format or bit rate to another will affect my video quality. Also are there any resources that I could read on the this topic?
Thanks, Bob

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Capture for DVD
on Aug 14, 2002 at 4:13:51 am

Depends on what capture card you have, but it really doesn't matter much. You'll probably find that either AVI or MPEG2 will work. My X100 saves the video in AVI files, but it's really DV in an AVI wrapper, and DV is just a special format of MPEG2, so it's really all MPEG2 underneath.

When I had an RT2000, I could capture in either AVI, MPEG2, or MPEG2 IBP. I couldn't tell much difference between the AVI and MPEG2 modes, although I visually favored the AVI mode on this card. Either the AVI or MPEG2 could be edited in Premiere. MPEG2 IBP, which is formatted for DVD, can not be edited in Premiere.

To output to VHS, it's important to save it in a format compatible with analog video export, and that's a function of your capture card.

To output to DVD, you'll have to transcode your video to MPEG IBP format. In your case, compressing 25 GB of DV to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD. Here again, your capture card determines what format it can use to do the transcoding.

Return to posts index

newguy
on Aug 18, 2002 at 4:01:11 am

Hi,
I just have RT2500, I guess it's not much difference from RT2000.
I would like to ask, is there any way to capture video in mpeg 2 mode. if yes, how to set up. I can only do it in avi, and export back to tape.
Thank you.
NG

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 18, 2002 at 10:29:08 pm

With the RT2x00, you can capture directly in MPEG2 IBP format for DVD, but you can't edit it.

I'd recommend capturing in DV format, doing your editing, and exporting it for DVD using the Ligos LSX-MPEG plugin provided by Matrox. The transcode to DVD formatted MPEG is VERY time-consuming. There's lots of hints on Matrox's and Sonic's forums about how to perform the conversion, including setting bitrates and field order.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]