FORUMS: list search recent posts

9.4gb dvdr burner or a firmware upgrade to pioneer

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drjr
9.4gb dvdr burner or a firmware upgrade to pioneer
by
on Jul 29, 2002 at 4:00:43 am

I have a pioneer A03 and was told before I bought it that there would be a firmware upgrade to be able to burn on 9.4 gb discs. Will this happen or will I have to buy a new burner or will it never come out?
Anyone know,
Drjr

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: 9.4gb dvdr burner or a firmware upgrade to pio
by
on Jul 29, 2002 at 1:03:43 pm

I don't think you need a firmware upgrade to burn to these discs. They are identical to 4.7 gig discs, except for the fact that both sides of the disc can be burned to rather than just one. I have an AO3 that is over a year old and I have never done a firmware upgrade, and have burned to several of those discs.

Return to posts index

Drjr
by
on Jul 30, 2002 at 1:42:26 am

I am talking about a single sided one. Like the ones that you buy with movies on them.

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Jul 30, 2002 at 12:32:26 pm

That is the DVD-9 spec (which actually has a listed 'dvd' capacity of 8.54 gig) which is called a dual layer, single sided disc. That will never be supported by the external burners, at least the A03 and A04 (and from my understanding none of the first generation burners ever will). Those type of disc are created in a duplication house with a glass master and can't physically be created with the types of consumer burners available today. What I originally posted was in regards to the DVD-10 spec (which has a 'dvd' capacity of 9.4 gigs--4.7 gigs per side).

Return to posts index

bmciver
on Jul 31, 2002 at 3:37:25 am

Where do you find these dual sided disks? THe only thing I've seen is the 100 DVD spindle on the site you mentioned in another post. I can't see parting with 6-700 dollars, but I'd really like to get 5 or so and cheaper than pioneer if there is an option. THanks WTS.

Brian

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Jul 31, 2002 at 3:58:57 am

The ones I've used were by CDRecordable, but the last time I checked their website was down:

http://www.cd-recordable.com/

Here are a couple of other sites with a variety of media including some cheapo double sided discs. I just don't know from personal experience how they perform:

http://www.meritline.com/meritline/dvdrblankmedia.html
http://www.supermediastore.com/supermediastore/dvdmedia.html

Return to posts index

Drjr
by
on Jul 31, 2002 at 4:00:02 am

SO do you think that they will ever release a dvd-9 burner or will Hollywood put a stop to it?
Thanks for the info,
Riker

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 1, 2002 at 2:28:36 am

I doubt you will ever see a dual-layer dvd burner. It's hard enough burning a single layer one. The industry is currently working on blue laser disks, which hold 27 GB in a single layer. I'm afraid the 4.7 GB DVD is just a waypoint of the path to higher density disks capable of supporting HDTV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]