FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDD doesn't have enough data rate, won't capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mysrh
HDD doesn't have enough data rate, won't capture
on Jan 29, 2003 at 2:02:42 am

I have 2 HDDs, one is 40G the other is 120G. My windows XP is in the 40G one, as I plan the 120G for files and video files. I'm using Pinnacle studio 8.

When I tried to capture using the 120G, the program showed a message that the data rate for the 120G HDD is not sufficient, around 3.5Mb/s, while it needs min. of 4 Mb/s. I put both my HDD as primary master and secondary master.

So instead I reformat my computer with the windows in 120G HDD, I plan to buy a new HDD if there's no other solutions. But I'm confused whether to get SCSI HDD with 10k - 15k RPM or IDE HDD with USB 2.0.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: HDD doesn't have enough data rate, won't captu
on Jan 29, 2003 at 2:52:17 am

Is the 120G HD configured on IDE2, so that it doesn't conflict with the boot drive?

Is DMA enabled on the 120 G HD?

Is compression and the indexing service disabled?

Is the 120 G HD attached using an 80-wire ATA cable?

If you've done all this, it should work.

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Jan 29, 2003 at 6:38:02 am

Thanks for the reply, the answers for those are yes, I've checked them, and the data rate doesn't improve at all.

Can it be the fact that the firewire driver is located at C: drive, and the IDE cable is too slow for transfering data from D: to CConfused

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 29, 2003 at 1:05:10 pm

If you are using a P4, have you installed the Intel Application Accelerator? Also, check for any updates, particularly BIOS updates.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 30, 2003 at 4:05:51 am

You don't say what application you're using to do the capture.

One other thing to check is to make sure the capture application scratch disk is set to the video drive. If it's defaulting to the application drive (C), then you're really capturing to your system drive, which won't work very well.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 30, 2003 at 1:16:24 pm

TRy changing the IDE cable. It could be the problem. It could also be a bad drive.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Jan 30, 2003 at 5:50:55 pm

Thanks, I'll try to do that.

I'm capturing using Pinnacle Studio 8.3

IF I decide to get new HDD, is it better to get USB2.0 or SCSI 10K-15K RPM?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 30, 2003 at 6:35:26 pm

Personally, I have never had a problem with attaching an ATA100 7200RPM as a slave to the system drive on IDE 1. It may not be optimal, but it works for me. A properly functioning ATA100 7200RPM drive should be capable of transferring data at 20+ Megabytes/Sec, more than enough for DV. You do not need a higher speed drive, SCSI or RAID for Studio DV.

Click on the “Test Data Rate” button on the Settings/Capture source menu and see what happens. Mine says that my video/data drive is capable of reading at 28000+Kbytes/sec and writing at 26000+Kbytes/sec with a max safe of 6000Kbytes/sec.

Just to be sure, you do have the camcorder attached to the fire wire port, powered on and selected as the capture source in Studio when you have the problems, don’t you?

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Jan 30, 2003 at 6:59:36 pm

My HDD for video files is attached to IDE2 as secondary master. I've set up everything intact, but the data rate showed 3MB/s

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 30, 2003 at 8:18:38 pm

Try the same test on your system drive and see what happens.

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Jan 31, 2003 at 8:49:47 am

It's capable since the data rate is range from 22Mb and 33Mb /s

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 31, 2003 at 1:39:26 pm

Have you tried re-formatting your hard drive? One of the many mistakes I have made recently is trying to use a hard drive that had been striped for RAID 0 as an IDE drive. When I reformatted the drive, updated the BIOS, and installed the correct version of the Intel Application Accelerator, it began working properly (of course, I still have other problems with my "bargain" P4).

When you check the properties of the secondary IDE channel in the device manager what does it say?

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Feb 2, 2003 at 11:23:50 am

In the device manager everything works fine, no conflicts, and I don't use RAID.

I've tried to capture using other softwares (Premiere 6 and Ulead Workshop) and they can capture to my secondary HDD. So Only Studio 8 that I'm having problem with.

One question, how do I reduce or get rid of frame drop? SHould I use video capture hardware instead of generic firewire port?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 2, 2003 at 2:32:04 pm

If you are using a DV camcorder, then the best way of preserving the quality and not dropping frames is to "capture" the video through your fire wire port- which is the way DV camcorders- fire wire systems were designed to work.

If I understand you correctly, you have no problems with Premiere and DVD Workshop, but do with Studio 8. I can't explain that. I still think that,if you drop frames while capturing with Premiere and DVD Workshop, you have a problem with the hardware or its configuration. Have you switched out the IDE cables as the Videoguys suggested previously?

Return to posts index

mysrh
on Feb 8, 2003 at 4:19:29 pm

What I understood was to change the IDE cable with different one, I did that, but Studio 8 still won't allow me to capture to my 2nd HDD.

I'm not sure if it's related, but when I turned the computer off, when I turned it on again, the second HDD won't be detected till I restarted the computer again.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 9, 2003 at 3:32:26 am

If Premiere and DVD WS work properly, but Studio 8 doesn't, you problem is with the Studio 8 configuration. The only thing I can suggest is that you completely un-install and re-install the Studio program using the default settings and try capturing to the second drive again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]