FORUMS: list search recent posts

What do I need to back up copies of my DVD movies

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MikeT66
What do I need to back up copies of my DVD movies
on Jul 13, 2002 at 12:31:57 pm

What programs do I need to make back up copies of my DVD movies. My kids are scratching them all up and would rather have them mess up a copy than the many originals I have. I have a DVD burner on my computer. Any help would be appreciated.....

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: What do I need to back up copies of my DVD mov
on Jul 13, 2002 at 5:39:32 pm

A dual-layer DVD burner, which doesn't exist and never will. Most commercial DVD's contain 8 GB of data, which just won't fit on a 4.7 GB DVDR. You could go to the effort of decrypting, transcoding the video down to fit on another medium, like VCD or DVDR, re-authoring the new disk, and burning it. It's just not a cost effective use of time or materials. Buy previously viewed DVD's from your neighborhood video rental store.

Return to posts index

thegoober2003
on Jul 14, 2002 at 10:36:42 pm

Here is a guide using a few programs: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-basic.htm
It's kind of confusing and i'm trying to do it right now but it involves cutting out extra features and trying to get the dvd under 4.7 gigs. You can also split a movie onto 2 dvd's and here's the guide for that.
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/dual2dvds.html

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 14, 2002 at 11:18:18 pm

Yes, you can split it to 2 DVD's at $5 each for quality media. Is it really worth your time and effort to copy a dvd that you can buy previously viewed for $10. I don't think so.

Return to posts index

thegoober2003
on Jul 15, 2002 at 9:41:12 am

I think burning dual layered discs is worth it and it didn't take to long, I've only had my burner for less then a week and I already copied 3 dual layered dvd's onto 1 dvd-r without encoding just by taking out extra scenes and if that's not enough to get the size down you can take out languages, menus, and different types of audio on there but I haven't had to try that yet. The dvd-r's that I bought cost $1.20 and as for buying already viewed movies for $10 it's good but they don't always have what you want and new releases.

Return to posts index

newguy
on Jul 19, 2002 at 3:20:11 am

Hi,
How you make 3 dual dvd's into 1 dvr ? what program you are using ? could you tell more detail ?
I also want to copy some of my old dvd's.
thank you
NG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]