FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to capture VX2000 DV w/ SB1394, Premiere 5

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LesB3
Trying to capture VX2000 DV w/ SB1394, Premiere 5
on Jan 21, 2003 at 1:23:05 am

Hello folks,

After a 2 year hiatus, I've decided to get back into the video editing field...

Almost 5 years ago, I bought a Matrox Rainbow Runner for my K6-200 and, believe it or not, that card is *still* in my current homemade computer. Anyway, the video bug bit me, and within another year or two, my brother and I were ready to take the plunge into something a little more robust. We pooled our $$$ and bought a (then) new Dell system, Matrox RT2000 card, and 2 Sony DCR-VX2000's. Well, there was some bad blood and all I have left from that deal is my VX2000. That VX2000 would sit in its hard case for almost another year and a half, unused.

Recently, I upgraded my sound card to an SB Audigy MP3 which has a built in firewire port. I went out and bought a firewire cord, hooked everything up, and.... nothing! A few days later, I have managed to *finally* get rid of the TI drivers that were causing me some problems and to use the Microsoft DV camera drivers instead.

Now, when I try and do a capture in Premiere, the preview screen is blank and when I hit ESC to stop the capture, Premiere tells me that it "Can't play back the recorded file" because it has an invalid compression format. If I go out of Premeire and play it with Media Player, it plays fine tho. I've also tried capturing it with Media Studio Pro V5 but that tells me it can't use/find a compression driver.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I get a preview screen (overlay) back on? My Rainbow Runner (and the RT2000) did this in Premiere, what has changed?

2. How can I get Premiere to recognize the file format?

3. What compression format (or settings in general) should I use with Premiere? Do I need a software CODEC?

I mainly use Adobe Premiere 5.1c and Media Studio Pro V5 for my video stuff. I prefer MS5 and only grudgingly use Premiere when I have to. I honestly just don't like the way Premiere "works."

My (oddly setup) system:

* Soyo K7 board w/ AMD 1800XP CPU
* 512 MB RAM (older PC-133)
* 2 Harddrives, one is a 20 gig system drive that is less than half full and the other is a 10 gig drive (half full) dedicated for video. Both are 7200 RPM, system drive is UDMA33, vid drive is UDMA66. (I know, I should be shopping for another HD)
* Matrox Millenium II w/ RR studio (Any suggestions on something that will offer me the same things that this does: composite vid in and out, S-Video in and out -I'm all ears, till then, I'm not getting rid of it...)
* SoundBlaster Audigy MP3 w/ firewire

Thanks so much!

LB3

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Trying to capture VX2000 DV w/ SB1394, Premier
on Jan 21, 2003 at 5:19:33 am

What operating system and does Sony certify that your camcorder works with it?

Return to posts index

LesB3
Re: Trying to capture VX2000 DV w/ SB1394, Premier
on Jan 21, 2003 at 1:26:48 pm

Windows 98SE. DirectX 9 is installed.

I don't have any information on whether Sony certifies this camera w/ anything or not. They did work with the RT2000 when I still had it here, including overlay and device control.

LB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]