FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCI or USB 2.0

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buckaroo
PCI or USB 2.0
on Jan 14, 2003 at 7:27:41 pm

Which is better, the PCI solutions or USB 2.0 Solutions? I've been recommended by the videoguys to get the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe setup, but I want to make sure it's as good as the USB 2.0 solutions by Dazzle for example.

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: PCI or USB 2.0
on Jan 14, 2003 at 8:45:17 pm

Hi there
I personally would go for the PCI solution.
Good luck with your decision.
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

owen
by
on Jan 17, 2003 at 6:38:59 pm

Buckaroo,

You wrote...
"but I want to make sure it's as good as the USB 2.0 solutions by Dazzle for example."
Implying that Dazzle has more USB 2.0 solutions than the 150 version, or that you've found other companies using USB 2.0. I was only able to find the one, would you post any others you've found?
Ed

Edward Owen - Novice

Return to posts index

Buckaroo
on Jan 18, 2003 at 12:53:29 am

Actually, I wasn't trying to imply any one company or model was better. I was really just trying to find out what works better .. a PCI capture card or USB 2.0 for analog to dv.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 18, 2003 at 1:58:41 am

The only USB 2.0 capture devices I know of are Mpeg-only capture devices, including the Snazzi USB2, the Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe, and the Dazzle DVC 150.

I had a good look at the Snazzi and it seems to work as advertised. It does a better job of not dropping frames and keeping AV sync than my Dazzle DVC II.

I had a short look at the Dazzle DVC 150 and didn't much care for it. I captured a test clip at the default setting only to find out it was in some format with a .mzl file name (if I remember correctly). I have no idea of what .mzl is except that I could not import it into Video Studio or Media Studio Pro, but had to use Dazzle's Movie Star to edit it. Nor could I find a way to change the capture format to Mpeg or to customize the capture settings. And, yes, I looked at the manual.

If you want an analog-to-Mpeg digitizer, USB 2 devices with hardware encoders are a good way to go. If you want to go from analog to DV, one of the PCI cards or analog-to-DV converters used with a fire wire card are your only choices.

Return to posts index

Buckaroo
on Jan 28, 2003 at 1:31:42 pm

Update:

I received my Pinnacle Studio 8 Deluxe package yesterday. Installed the hardware and software, and did some test captures. I then bit the bullet, and let it capture a LARGE stream of video (1.5 hours worth), with not a single dropped frame :) All audio appears to be in synch, but not very loud (will check this out). So far, I'm happy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]