FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rainbow Runner capture limitations? (don't lau

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
doc
Rainbow Runner capture limitations? (don't lau
by
on Nov 20, 2002 at 3:03:36 pm

Please don't laugh -- it was good stuff at the time I bought it!

Matrox Mystique/Rainbow Runner capture card:

I'm getting back into video again and tried to capture 26:00 of video. Well, it did capture BUT put the video into 3 different files, losing some video between files. The files were about 10:00 or so long.

Is this an inherant condition with RR or is there something I need to do to be able to capture that much video at a time?

I'm in the process of trying to find a place to break up the video but it would be nice if I had one file to work with. I don't want to have to try to re-sync audio if I can help it.

Doc

Return to posts index

doc
Re: Rainbow Runner capture limitations? (don't
by
on Nov 20, 2002 at 4:46:05 pm

As you can see I'm talking to myself (and answering, that's scary).

OK so, the files will be 2GB limits. Now, why do I lose some capture between files? Is it my "slow" system, memory or the like?

K6-2 300/512/5400 rpm SCSI 4.3GB cature only/Win98(with speed tricks)

Also, how do I play back the clips in sequence. Does that depend on my particular playback software?

Doc

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 20, 2002 at 9:52:50 pm

Hi there
If you were to upgrade to Win 2000 or XP and format your drives to NTFS then there wouldn't be a 2gb limit and you could keep it in 1 single file no matter how large the file. It might be dropping frames as you are using a 5400rpm hard drive, it is best to have a seperate hard drive just for video, but if that is not possible then you should at least have a 7200 rpm hard drive. Also before you want to capture I would restart the computer so everything gets cleared out of memory and you can start totally fresh. I would shut down all unnecessary programs, including Norton Antivirus untill after everything has been successfully captured, that way your giving your editing software the maximum resources and hopefully you won't drop frames. If you do decide to upgrade your operating system I would recommend Windows 2000 Pro over Win XP. Also what editing software do you use?
Good luck, hope this helps!
Later
ciabt

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 21, 2002 at 4:41:15 am

I assume you're referring to the Mystique/Rainbow Runner Studio PCI board set. The last drivers written for the Rainbow Runner are for Windows 98 and NT4. 2000 and XP are not supported.

It's a M-JPEG capture board with about the equivalent of MPEG1 resolution. It's time to upgrade.

Return to posts index

doc
by
on Nov 21, 2002 at 4:49:11 pm

Error, my mem is 384 not 512

I hate to go to Win2K. I've just now gotten familiar with Win98 and too lazy to learn a new program. And someone said Win2K is not supported by Rainbow Runner anyway.

Oh, well . . .

I just upgraded to AMD K6-500 and 20GB 7200 EIDE HD. I'll do the best I can.

By the way, RR didn't drop any frames except between files. Maybe the 7200 RPM drive will do better.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Warner
on Dec 17, 2002 at 3:37:22 am

Hey.. It's still a good card.

This card is only a Win9X card and will only ever do 2Gig files max. However if you go to this site http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/ they have a little program that will allow endless captures in 1 or 2 Gig files with no drops between files. I still have a RRS and use this program all the time.

Regards.

Paul Warner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]