Learning Curve question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colt
Learning Curve question
by
on Mar 30, 2005 at 11:48:22 am

Hello All

Being new to this technology, I have been reading, like a madman, everything I can find. I wish to put together a pc for editing purposes and am having a hard time deciding on software.
I don't want to learn 1 pkg now and decide I want to go with something else later on.
Currently I am leaning towards the Adobe suite and have downloaded the trial version. I have also been playing around with the free Avid editor.
My question I guess is how much real difference is there between the 2 and is Avid's programs harder to learn than Adobe? I like the Avid stuff already but jeez it's expensive. Am I comparing apples to oranges?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

OMGimSteve
Re: Learning Curve question
on Mar 31, 2005 at 8:27:32 pm

I prefer Adobe... the interface is similar within all programs, such as Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, and Encore. What I like about the Adobe suite is that I can create all my graphics and menus in Photoshop, drop them right into everything and go from raw footage to DVD.
I used Avid years ago but it seemed limited at the time.
Also if you get this http://www.videoguys.com/rtx100.html it's cheaper than the Avid Mojo and does basically the same thing...

-=omgimsteve=-

Return to posts index

Colt
Thanks omgimsteve
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 12:32:58 pm

I appreciate your reply.
I have to say that it can get quite daunting trying to figure out which hardware/software to go with. No one nearby that I have found is working in this media and I think there could be a ton of opportunities for work.
I can't wait to get into it. I wish we had an outlet in Canada that offered better deals than what I have found so far.
Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
Re: Learning Curve question
on Apr 6, 2005 at 5:02:23 pm

IF you decide to go with Adobe's Premiere Pro I'd highly recommend getting it by purchasing a hardware realtime editing card like the Matrox RT.X100 or RT.X10 or Canopus Storm, depending on your level of expertise or ambitions.

These cards bundle the full version of PPro with the card, among other things like a bunch of effects (many very fancy) not included (or even possible) with PPro. You also get a whole laundry list of other features.

The price isn't much more than the price of PPro by itself, but the hardware adds a LOT of functionality and makes PPro run much snappier, even on not-so high end systems.

My RT.X100/PPro rig is very basic: a SiS chipped AthlonXP 3000 system with 1 gig of RAM. It even ran well when this rig only had an AthlonXP 2400 in it.

Try running PPro on such a system without hardware assistance and you'll soon learn what "patience" means Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]