FORUMS: list search recent posts

poor video quality on DVD- what to do to fix?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chuk
poor video quality on DVD- what to do to fix?
by
on Mar 1, 2005 at 3:10:19 pm

Here's what I'm working with:

Canon GL2 footage
generic firewire plug
Avid Xpress Pro
Sonic DVDit

Here's what I did:
1) imported/edited video using Avid Xpress Pro by plugging the GL2 into the front firewire port of the computer which is straight into the motherboard.

2) exported using Quicktime reference (.mov) to SonicDVDit.

3) burned to DVD-R

I'm less than thrilled about the playback quality once it reached DVD. The video is grainy and has a strange frame effect going on...almost like you're watching playback at slower shutterspeed or something...kind of choppy looking. It's watchable, just not what I'd hoped for.

Is there anything I can do to significantly improve the quality? Is a video card the answer or something else. I already spent a lot on the software/equipment above so I'm hoping it requires just some tweaking to fix but would appreciate any help...

thx!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: poor video quality on DVD- what to do to fix?
on Mar 1, 2005 at 4:49:50 pm

Why did you export to Quicktime before authoring? Is that a necessary/recommended step for DVD authoring using AVID programs?
I don't know anything about AVID, but it would be an unnecessary step in my Ulead products.

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Mar 1, 2005 at 5:10:45 pm

You can't export directly to MPEG-2 from Avid Xpress unfortunately. The options are Quicktime reference, MPEG-4, and a couple of others liuke Windows Media, etc... So you either have to stream from Avid to Sonic which might not be setup correctly for me or export to MPEG-2 somehow like through Sorensen squeeze which I don't want to have to buy in addition.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Mar 1, 2005 at 11:43:46 pm

Is "Quicktime reference" the file format for the DV files after capture and before output? I know nothing about Avid products and am asking out of curiousity.

The people who do know Avid Xpress will probably want to know your software versions, the project settings in both Avid Xpress and DVDit, including the Mpeg 2 settings in DVDit and the frame type (Upper Field First/Lower Field First/Frame based).

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Mar 2, 2005 at 1:16:29 am

using Avid Xpress Pro 4.6 and Sonic DVDit 5.0

The Quicktime reference seems to be Avid's version of MPEG-2 export. I believe it is just a compression format used as a go-between from Avid to DVD encoders.

The settings in Avid are checked as follows on the export screen:
-use marks
-use enabled tracks
-digital mastering
-flatten video tracks
-fill spaces with black
-render all video effects
-native dimensions
...skipping audio options...
-use Avid DV codec

for some reason in QT reference there doesn't appear to be a setting for field order..maybe this is part of my problem?

for DVDit transcoder settings:
High quality CBR=8000 kbps CBR

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Mar 2, 2005 at 3:16:51 am

1. I don't know if this is one of your problems or not, but if the frame type is "frame-based", the video tends to flicker when played back on a TV. What do your Avid and DVDit manuals have to say about it?

2. Won't Avid Xpress let you output to a DV .avi file? If so, try that with DVDit. As I understand it, Quicktime reference is a low quality video file with a small file size which is designed for quick and easy export to compatible programs, such as After Effects, and which will go back and use the original higher-quality file for output. Do you know if your version of DVDit will do that? If not, what you are doing is creating a DVD from a low quality video file, not the original video file.

The following are links to the Videoguys website's info on your Avid Xpress:

http://www.videoguys.com/XpressDV.html
http://www.videoguys.com/XDV_FAQ.html

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Mar 2, 2005 at 6:20:34 pm

I'll look around for frame-based settings in Avid. thanks!

I think DVDit is supposed to be compatible with Avid and so you only need the QT reference so it can retrieve the raw video from Avid for import and encode into MPEG-2 there but maybe I am mistaken as I'm new to this. I have read about Sorensen squeeze as an add-on MPEG-2 encoder that is supposed to do the same thing but it's a lot of $$ and since DVDit seems to support QT reference and in fact is available as an add-on to Avid Xpress as of recently, you would think the transfer from Avid to DVDit should be fairly seamless but again I don't know for sure since I'm just starting out with this. So, if anyone can clarify I would appreciate it!

thanks again.

Return to posts index

wolf
by
on Mar 6, 2005 at 2:55:53 pm

I have made over /// dvd movies, I use a program called WinAvi to convert Mpeg to dvd FOB files. Then burn them with Nero, Great video and audio quality. Plays in all Dvd Players. Never had a coaster. Nero will cut the video/audio to fit on a 4.7 DVD disk. Must have full version of NERO) You can find Nero/WinAvi on Limewire. http://www.limewire.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]