FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need two hard drives?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MDbum
Do I need two hard drives?
on Feb 19, 2005 at 2:28:56 am

My question is:
When using Adobe Premiere 6.5, how can i prevent frame drops? I get them at random. Do two separate hard drives fix the problem?

Windows Xp Pro
2.8 ghz P4
1 gig ram
128mgb ATI Radeon Pro
Maxtor 7200 RPM 80 gb HD

I use a firewire a friend lent me to transfer the video to my computer. Exiting out of useless processes and optimizing windows for Adobe hasn't worked. So do you guys think i need a separate hard drive to transfer my video captures? Would that prevent the drop of frames? It could be my buffer rate, which i believe is 8mgb.

And if i do need a seperate hard drive, do i need to reformat my original to install the new hard drive?

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks.
-Doug

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Do I need two hard drives?
on Apr 23, 2005 at 4:33:45 pm

Doug,

I remember the days of just 1 good ol' 80GB internal drive. So many less wires back then.

Ok Doug, here's what I recommend: The EASIEST thing you can do is purchase an external hard drive. I don't know how much video you want to store at one time but I would at least get 120GB. These are simple to install since you just plug in the power cord, connect with a firewire (you may have to actually buy your own firewire cable and possibly a hub) and let the drive install.

I have two internal drives myself but found it a waste of time to bother with that when I could have easily just gone with external. My 160GB C: drive is about the right size for my workload when saving .avi files and projects. I have another 80GB D: drive for music and then my 3 externals are 250GB each (1 Maxtor, 1 Seagate and 1 Acomdata). I could use another one but I'm getting by ok right now. I stronly suggest you never capture footage on your C: drive, especially with an 80GB capacity. Keep the video footage on a seperate drive always. I discovered this handy tip after getting a ton of dropped frames and poor PC performace before adding on.

Hope this helps!
-Q

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Do I need two hard drives?
on Apr 23, 2005 at 5:18:31 pm

Here is a link to an older page on our website with tips & tricks for optimizing Premeire 6.x http://www.videoguys.com/Premiere6tips.html

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]