FORUMS: list search recent posts

What NLE software to get?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jobiwan
What NLE software to get?
on Jan 1, 2005 at 6:34:38 am

I am looking for NLE software and the only one I have seen in action is Pinnacle Studio V8.

What I would find helpful is to hear from real world users about what they are using. What would be useful would be:

What you use; and why;

What you have used in the past; and why you prefer what you are using now.

TIA for your replies.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: What NLE software to get?
on Jan 1, 2005 at 7:54:03 am

I'm using Premiere Pro, because I got tired of waiting to render effects and upgraded to a Matrox RT.X100 system. With the X100, most of my effects are realtime, requiring no rendering. I can just apply an effect, hit play, and watch it on the video monitor attached to my X100 board.

Return to posts index

STLSailor
on Jan 3, 2005 at 12:08:52 am

I use Adobe Premiere Pro 6.5. It is the only one I have used so I can't compare it except to tell you why I got it.

First, at the time I was reading reviews of video software (and this was over a year ago), there were a lot of posts about problems with newer versions of Pinnacle, etc. I'm sure they have those corrected by now, but I needed the software then.

Second, I needed a way to capture analog video. I settled on the Matrox RT.X10 because it was at the upper limit of what I could justify spending on a hobby, but it seemed like it would do the trick, and it came with a full version of Adobe Premiere Pro which made it seem not quite so expensive.

My experience with Adobe Premiere Pro has been very good. I've done several weddings. Since most transitions other than basic dissolves and fades are used rarely, a basic package is probably fine, though it's nice to have other options (which Matrox gives you) and with Matrox you don't have to render them unless you apply multiple effects.

Ease of Use: This is a full-featured editing program so I'm not going to say it's easy. The basics are, once you take the time to wade through them, but there's no substitute for taking some time to learn it. After 3-4 weddings and several complex vacation videos, I'm still learning new techniques.

Stability: Early on I got a lot of odd errors with Adobe. I didn't realize it at the time, but it wasn't Adobe's problem. My video drive was about to crash, which it did.

Features: More than I will ever use.

Stl_Sailor

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
on Jan 6, 2005 at 8:11:22 am

Thanks, John and Stl_Sailor. That's exactly the feedback I was hoping for. Anyone else feel free to add your bit, as I'll keep checking for a while longer.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
on Jan 7, 2005 at 9:50:14 am

Thanks for that guys.

Are there any Avid Xpress DV/Pro or Sony Vegas 4/5 users who can offer their $0.02 worth?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

jaxxx
on Feb 3, 2005 at 12:27:12 pm

i use avid (pretty much all of them).
It's extremely unstable, not particularly user-friendly, but it's popular for some reason, so you have to use it if you want someone to pay you.
Really, it's strong points are it's film-video interchange.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]