FORUMS: list search recent posts

About ready to give up!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Ann
About ready to give up!
on Dec 7, 2004 at 4:38:20 pm

I've been reading lots of good things about this site, so figured I would give it a try. I have been using studio 8 with a DC10 plus capture card for the past 2 years with no problems. Suddenly it just stopped working. It will capture for about 2 minutes tops before freezing and crashing OR if it captures past a whole 3 minutes the audio cuts out half way through. I used to be able to capture for 2 hours straight with no problem. I thought I might have downloaded something incompatable so I finally got so desperate I paid to have my windows XP reinstalled- still no good. I even bought pinnacle 9 in hopes the studio 8 software had become corrupted. Nothing works. I have tried all pinnacle support (laugh) suggestions from emails (forget the phone) all drivers are updated, I have a seperate drive for video capture. Can software just simply stop working for no reason> Do I need to start over with a new program and if so is there anything with a user interface as simple as pinnacle that works with DC10 plus and doesn't cost a fortune?

I am not good with hardware and am terrified of having to try to install a new capture card but if need be I'll pay to have it done just to get this working again as I used video all the time on my website- or did!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
PS if any video techies live in the Norwood MA area- I'd be happy to pay to have you come out take a look!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: About ready to give up!
on Dec 7, 2004 at 9:59:53 pm

One thing you need to check out is your video drive. Try capturing to your system drive to see if you still have the problem.

Also, see if Windows Movie Maker will work with the DC-10.

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
on Dec 8, 2004 at 2:24:58 pm

I hate to sound really dumb but not sure what you mean by my video drive? I capture to a seperate hard drive which has tons of space as clips are the only thing on it. Also windows movie maker does not work with DC10

What I'm wondering is if for some reason the DC10 card itself may have become corrupted even though I installed drivers and it appears as if the dc10 plus software is part of the installation of studio 8. If so I may need to buy a replacement capture card.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 8, 2004 at 5:42:01 pm

The video drive is just what I call the separate drive used for capturing video. Although I agree that your DC-10 may have gone bad, I think you should at least check out the possibility that the drive you use for capturing video may have gone or be going bad. Earlier this year I had a lot of problems with my video editing program crashing during editing because of what turned out to be a bad hard drive. It's not exactly the same problem you have, but it is close enough that I suspect that you may have a problem with the hard drive. Do try capturing to your system (C?) drive and see if you still have the problem.

After I suggested trying Windows Movie Maker, I noticed on another thread that you had already tried several other programs to no avail. This usually means that the capture card uses a proprietary driver probably included in the bundled version of Studio and only that version of Studio will recognize the card.

Return to posts index

Rich
by
on Dec 10, 2004 at 7:52:32 pm

Mary Ann your going thru what everyone of us has gone thru. You should have seen me when I had my DC-10 an age ago. I'd have my computer taken apart in 120 pieces and when I put it back together I'd have 10 left over. The DC-10 is so old do they even make an XP supported driver for it?

What kind of system do you have? What OS did you have installed when the DC-10 was working? What kind of hard drive are you captureing to? Did you try a simple un-install/re-install/re-seat of the card and drivers? Unfortunatly you cant roll back your OS to when the thing was running. Did you check control panel/systems/hardware/device manager and are there any conflicts in your system? What do you have running in the background?

How much do you like DV? If you like it a lot then buy a configured system and only use it to do video. No Internet, no games, no file opening, no virus software, no nothing but video. Use the computer you have for all that. I forgot what I did with my DC-10, I think I brought it to a shooting range and shot it. My DC-30 would have been next if I hadnt found a buyer. Since Ive been with Canopus Ive never even had to call their tech support.

Its time for an upgrade kid. The DC-10 is old news anyways...........best of luck..........Rick

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
on Dec 14, 2004 at 8:13:10 pm

Well I tried something I found online and it has helped a little- i.e. I can capture about 4 minutes without it crashing now. The trick is to set the compatability for Windows 2000 for just the studio program. I am currently running XP. I just had my OS system completely reinstalled. I have noticed 2 conflicts however in device manager for some time even after the reinstall

PCI storage device and something to do with my Epson (I assume my printer port) The printer works fine though. Every time I start the computer now it says found new hardware and it tries to install this pci storage device then says can't install. I have no idea what it is! Could this be the problem? I'm tempted to buy a new card to use with the Studio program to see if it IS the card but not sure which to try. If I do I want one that will work with other programs like U Lead if that doesn't turn out to be the problem.

As for the hard drive, I've no reason to think there is a problem with it, it's pretty new. I wouldn't know how to tell. I'm terrified of opening the back of my computer!

Thanks for all the advice though guys. I'm not completely giving up yet, but it's frustrating hearing how people are capturing hours of video and burning to dvds when I am excited to get 4 minutes of video now. I do remember the days of 2 hours videos though sigh.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 14, 2004 at 10:43:46 pm

Have you tried capturing to the system drive to see if it works?

Does Device Manager show both of your hard drives as working properly?
The same for your Studio DC-10 card, graphics adapter/card, CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW drives?

Does Device Manager show any problem devices with red or yellow icons?

I would bet a lot of your money that you do not have a software problem. I think it is a hard ware problem and probably the drive you use for video capture.

The Studio DC-10/DC-30 cards were originally designed to use an MJPEG codec that is not compatible with Windows 2000/XP. I understand that Pinnacle Systems published a new driver containing a codec that is compatible with Windows 2000/XP some time ago. If you have been using the DC-10 card with Windows XP, then you must have installed the updated driver at some time.

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
on Dec 15, 2004 at 1:39:33 am

I see a lot of errors in device manager but things seem to be working.

Here is what is flagged yellow

Under Human Interface Devices
USB Receiver

Under imaging devices
compaq scanner (but it works!)

Other Devices
PCI input device

It keeps trying to install this last one but can't.

Universal serial bus controllers
Epson PCMCIA storage device

Would any of these cause the problem?
I just had the system reinstalled are things plugged into the wrong places maybe? in the USB ports?

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
YOU ARE BRILLIANT!
on Dec 15, 2004 at 11:14:46 am

I hope I"m not jumping to fast but I THINK you may have solved my problem! I tried what you said- capturing to my main system drive and voila- 4 skipped frames but 10 MINUTES and it was still going strong! No more missing audio, nothing! I was afraid to let it go longer for fear it would crash and depress me all over again but I have a feeling that was my problem. I don't understand though, I thought it was better to capture to a seperate drive? If there is something wrong with the second drive, why is it fine for documents etc? Anyway, keep your fingers crossed but the combination of switching my compatability on the program to Windows 2000 and capturing to my system drive, MAY have done it.

Will let you all know when I get the guts to try capturing for longer :-)

PS got rid of all my flags except 1- PCI storage device- any ideas what that is referring to?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: YOU ARE BRILLIANT!
on Dec 15, 2004 at 12:15:45 pm

I suppose the PCI slot on the motherboard or the cable connecting the PCI slot and the hard drive could have gone bad, but the most likely culprit is the hard drive itself. At this point, I suggest that you take it to a computer repair store to have it checked out unless you are comfortable messing around inside.

It is advisable to use a separate hard drive for video capture to avoid wear and tear on the system drive and because Windows and your applications need to transfer electrons to and fro from/to the system drive, which could interfere with video capture and cause dropping of frames. However, you can make do in a pinch if you do not do a lot of capturing.

Just out of curiousity, what are the properties of the video files you capture using the DC-10, in particular what is the data rate at the resolution you use and what is the file format? If I remember correctly the old DC-10 used MJPEG .avi with a data rate of either about 1.8MB/Sec or 3.6MB/Sec at 320 x 240 resolution, but it's been a long, long time....

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
on Dec 15, 2004 at 4:33:51 pm

I will have to check my settings and get back to you tonight. Can the hard drive be bad though if there are other things on it and they all open fine? What I'm wondering is if I can capture to my system drive then after I encode it to real player for the web, just take the captured video and move it to store it on the extra drive so I can keep the space on my system drive? I'm wondering also if the device problem PCMI storage device could mean I am using the wrong usb slot for my extra drive?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 15, 2004 at 8:53:29 pm

I seem to have misunderstood what your computer setup is. My advice was based on the assumption that your second drive was an internal drive connected by cables to your motherboard.

Are you using a laptop with an external USB 2.0 drive connected through a PCMCIA card? If so, I cannot help you much. I suppose that you could have problems with the hard drive, USB cable, USB ports and/or PCMIA card, or the drivers for the hard drive and the PCMCIA card. You could also have the hard drive connected to a USB 1.1 port which would slow its operation down. You need to have a qualified computer technician have a look at it.

I had a case in which a hard drive began to go bad so that I could not capture or encode video on it, but I could still access pictures and music files until the drive completely failed.

Return to posts index

Mary Ann
on Dec 16, 2004 at 3:27:00 pm

My hard drive is external connected to a USB port. One thing that I've noticed is I sometimes have gotten an error in the past that my storage device was not connected to a high speed port. Wondering if I have it plugged in to the wrong port. I have 3 USB ports in the back of my computer and 1 in the front. Maybe I should try switching them. My scanner and printer are plugged into the other ports in back.

I hope it's not the drive, it's only about a year old if that!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 16, 2004 at 10:54:12 pm

Certainly, a USB 2 hard drive needs to be connected to a USB 2 port using a cable designed for USB 2's or it will operate at no more than USB 1.1 speed (12Mbits/sec) which is not suitable for capturing video at other than mpeg-1/webcam quality.

While you are at it, you should check the manual for your hard drive and see what it says about installing the USB 2 hard drive driver. I have a firewire/USB 2 external drive that works fine with the firewire
but is not recognized by my computer when I attach the USB 2 cable instead of the firewire.

Updating Windows XP to SP2 may help too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]