FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best card for audio sync?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jfreeman
Best card for audio sync?
on Oct 24, 2002 at 4:13:34 am

I have to upgrade soon from analog to DV. Just about decided on a Matrox RT-100 until I read a Video Guys review that said Avid had no audio sync problems. I'm tired of struggling with audio getting out of sync. If there are ANY issues with the RT-100 (or DV Storm) when making a 90 minuet video, I will probably spend the money for the Avid. Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Best card for audio sync?
on Oct 24, 2002 at 4:45:23 pm

I haven't heard of any audio sync problems w/ the RTX100 or the DVStorm. As long as you are using a fast hard drive the audio should be in sync. The RTX100 requires a SCSI drive or a RAID, a single IDE drive will not do it.

The AVID has no audio sync issues either. I use my AVID at home and it works great.

- Jon

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 26, 2002 at 3:45:36 am

Actually most of the problems I've heard about with the RT.X100, which I own, are with IDE RAID controllers. I'm configured per Matrox's recommendations, and mine works fine.

IDE1 MAS boot drive
IDE1 SLA export drive
IDE2 MAS video drive
IDE2 SLA Pioneer A03

All drives are fast ATA 7200 rpm, formatted as NTFS.

My sound card is an Audigy on an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon MP 2100's and a Matrox G550 video card.

Return to posts index

jfreeman
on Oct 27, 2002 at 4:24:25 am

Jon,
I'm confused. A lot of people say they are using IDE drives OK. Do those have to be set up as RAID?

Jerry

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 28, 2002 at 3:48:20 am

No. DV requires 3.6 MB/second of streaming storage. Almost any ATA100 7200 rpm drive can sustain 25 MB/second until it gets almost full. The real reason to use IDE RAID controllers was to get large enough storage with small drives. I used an IDE RAID controller with my RT2000 when the largest drive you could buy was 30 GB, just to get large enough storage to do video editing. Now that you can buy 120 GB drives, you don't need RAID.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]