COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaincrunch
Fast system . . .slow preview/playback?
on Aug 20, 2004 at 12:44:39 pm

System:
P4/2.26g/1G Ram/Win 2k Pro
MSPro7

When working on the timeline and previewing scenes I am getting a red line above indicating a difficult process. Why? with 1G mem and a P4/2.26 processor?

I'm only working with one video file and a simple overlay of graphics . . .

Video freezes during playback and/or doesn't play smooth. Seems to get worse as the editing session goes on. Not as bad at first.

I have to create .avi files. Can't get a good timeline playback for recording to DV.

Any ideas as to what I need to look for? Some setting in Windows or tweaking?

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Fast system . . .slow preview/playback?
by
on Aug 21, 2004 at 3:17:04 pm

Greetings Capt,

I don't know your depth of knowledge, so I'll start with some really basic questions to help find the appropriate solution.

Check to make sure you are looking at the correct red line. The one above the time line numbers is the difficulty line. The one below indicates scenes that do not have to be rendered, or have already been rendered. The difficulty bar only appears in Instant Playback mode. Are you in Instant Playback mode?

Video freezes during playback? Which playback mode? Export? Print to tape? Preview? Instant Play? Quick Play?

Gets worse? Do you mean if you play a long clip towards the end it gets worse, or just in general, as your editing session progresses it gets worse?

What are your monitor settings? Ulead recommends 1024x768 and 16 bit (High Color). (I use 24 bit most of the time).

What other programs are running in background?

But probably the most poignant question... Are you still using the ATI AIW Card? Don't want to point fingers before I know all the facts, but it might be a factor. Don't see anything wrong with your system configuration otherwise...

The solution should be really simple once we figure out the culprit.

D

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 21, 2004 at 6:18:50 pm

And do you have a dedicated hard drive on a different IDE port from your boot drive for your video files?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 22, 2004 at 11:05:44 am

1. What are your settings for previews?

2. The part of the video with the overlay still has to be rendered at some point before it can be exported to the camcorder even if you export from the time line and have Smart Render checked. My guesstimate is that it takes 3 or 4 minutes of rendering for every minute of the overlay on your system.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Aug 23, 2004 at 1:07:08 pm

I may have to email this again, I'm at work and can't remember every setting . . .

I'm sure it's set to Instant Play, Dual Head, Enable Hyperthread, Max performance, Best preview

Even with simple graphics, say . . . just a few words, white, color key overlay, no anamation or motion . . . the "difficulty" line appears.

It doesn't seem to go into a "render" mode anytime. If I play from the time line (space bar or enter) it just starts playing. That's when it begins to screw up, the video will stop (audio continues) and/or it will begin to skip. And it takes a while to start the preview.

I did find that undoing hyperthreading the preview starts quicker but graphic really slows down.

I find NO files in the MSPro 7 Preview files folder . . .

What are all the best settings for MSPro?

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Aug 23, 2004 at 1:28:37 pm

Are you in Instant Playback mode?
Yes

Video freezes during playback? Which playback mode?
Instant (space bar/enter)

Gets worse? Do you mean if you play a long clip towards the end it gets worse, or just in general, as your editing session progresses it gets worse?
Editing. As I redo the clip several times to get it "just right" it takes longer to preview and playback is worse

Unfortunately, Yes I still have the ATI All-in-wonder Pro. Settings are OK but I feel you're right, it may be the video card at the root of all this.

What other programs are running in background?
I've done the Win2k Tweaks

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 24, 2004 at 12:02:28 am

Capt, I can lend you my spare video card--An Elsa Gladiac 511 w/ TV out--or perhaps you can find someone with a card that you can try.

Would be nice to know once and for all if your problems could be solved by replacing that card...

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Aug 25, 2004 at 12:27:42 pm

D_
Wow, you are so kind! I appreciate that.

I tried changing some settings last night:
Unchecked hyperthreading
changed the performace levels
changed the hyperthreading 0 - 10

without the hyperthread the preview starts quicker but when it gets to graphics/overlays the video gets jerkys.

I didn't seem to have this problem until I did all the Win2000 "tweaks". Do you think there's something in there that maybe is messing with the video card?

I really need a "capture" card because I still use a Hi8 camera. The DV camera I'm using is borrowed. However, if I can make any money with this I'll get me one for myself.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 26, 2004 at 3:16:06 pm

I was not aware that the machine was previously stable. Yes, if you "tweaked" some Win2K settings and then the machine became unstable, I would consider that a possible cause.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 27, 2004 at 6:00:35 pm

To take advantage of hyperthreading, you need to upgrade to Windows XP Pro. A lot of video applications today won't even run properly on W2K.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 27, 2004 at 10:16:02 pm

I can't find a P4 2.26GHZ processor that has hyperthreading. Also, XP Home can do hyperthreading, but not dual physical processors.

Personally, I think the overlay, particularly the color correction is the villian in this scenario.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 29, 2004 at 8:12:27 am

I would lean in the direction of the overlay processing and the AWI card. I am not familiar with the color correction portion. But, if the system was working in the past, then I believe that some of the corrections obviously interfered with that previously operating system.

Solution 1: Try another video card to see if the probelm goes away.

Solution 2: Reinstall Windows and see if the problems go away.

In either case, there is no quick fix. This problem seems to limited to your machine only.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]