FORUMS: list search recent posts

**All PINNACLE users please post**

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zelkien69
**All PINNACLE users please post**
on Jul 2, 2004 at 4:13:58 pm

It's time for all Pinnacle studio users to put the word out. I've had horrible tech support, if any at times, bad A/V sync, bad update results, freeze ups, gotten kicked off, and just overall a bad experience. If we can make a large enough chain maybe Pinnacle will take notice and fix their shortcomings. I Use a P4 2.2ghz, 1gig ram, 256meg video, 120GB SATA drive with USB 2.0 Legacy and firewire. I have Pinnacle Studio 9.0, no updates, with the moviebox USB hub. I don't believe I should have to remove every update I install and reinstall the basic program to have a program that still only works 80% of the time. If you've had a bad experience please list the problems, A breakdown of your computer like above, and your software and hardware from Pinnacle. I work hard for my money like all of you and I'm just done throwing it away with the number of options available. Listen up Pinnacle your time is coming.

I would like to add I have no input into Liquid products or other Pinnacle products. I was going to purchase 3-4 sets of Liquid 5.5 with the productivity pack for a editing and transfer business I'm starting on but cannot and will not back this company, EVER again.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: **All PINNACLE users please post**
by
on Jul 8, 2004 at 2:49:37 pm

Before you knock Pinnacle, they have had success with a lot of folks using approved computers. I agree that their products are not bullet proof and I too am leary of their offerings, but it appears to be hardware specific.

Video editing is an intensive process, Pinnacle gets a lot of the interface right, and some of the bugs wrong. Try the software on a Pinnacle approved machine before you try to shoot them down with bad reviews.

D

Return to posts index

Vince
on Jul 11, 2004 at 10:07:29 pm

My System:

HP Media Center 400Y
P4 3.4/Hyper-Thread
Win. XP Media Editon, (Same as Pro)
250GB HD
128MB NVIDIA 5600
512 RAM

(So far I only make movies using still images. My partner has a similar but lesser machine also using Pinnacle 9. He is trying his hand at making digital movies from a camcorder, but so far great difficulty transferring from Pinnacle to a DVD. I beleive he has MovieBox. I have whatever HP put on this machine, and think it might be in conflict with Pinnacles stuff).

Have had my new system and Pinnacle 9 now for about three months. Lots of problems with crashes and other things...The more I work with the program, the more I think one suggestion I have heard numerous times, is that any editing program competes with Win XP operating systems resources. About the only thing I don't have is a seperate hard drive just for the editing portion. I think this would make a big difference with Pinnacle 9.

After a lot of reading and research,I find that I have to perform the following things before I can run Pinacle 9:

1. Perform a Disk Clean-Up.
2. Defrag my hard drive no matter how small.
3. Shut down all programs running in the background.
4. I have even found that restarting my computer also helps although I have no clue as to why.
5. Another thing I did was to shut down all the fancy icons and desktop modes on Win. XP and go back to all Classic settings. These freed up a lot of resources, and solved some issues with Pinnacle crashing, although I have plenty of RAM and other sources?

All of this is a real pain, but the only way, I can get Pinnacle 9 to run. The last update, 9.12? where you also get the thousand plus holloywood locked effects, (which I could have done without), I notice that the program now crashes on a frequent basis.I have not found any solution to this problem, but thinking about deleting the last update.

I also have issues trying to burn a movie to a DVD, and think the problem is a conflict between Pinnacle and HP's CD/DVD writer?

I have also researched and tired out several other editing programs in the same price range and find all them lacking in one way or the other. If I was to do it again, (mainly because of the large learning curve), I think both of us would have opted for the top line program and started there.

Anyway, what I am becomiong to beleive is that all these guys want you to buy and use only their software and hardware. Ala, all this fine HP stuff I have does not work well with Pinnacle for some reason?

Return to posts index

Vince
on Jul 11, 2004 at 10:08:35 pm

My System:

HP Media Center 400Y
P4 3.4/Hyper-Thread
250GB HD
128MB NVIDIA 5600
512 RAM

(So far I only make movies using still images. My partner has a similar but lesser machine also using Pinnacle 9. He is trying his hand at making digital movies from a camcorder, but so far great difficulty transferring from Pinnacle to a DVD. I beleive he has MovieBox. I have whatever HP put on this machine, and think it might be in conflict with Pinnacles stuff).

Have had my new system and Pinnacle 9 now for about three months. Lots of problems with crashes and other things...The more I work with the program, the more I think one suggestion I have heard numerous times, is that any editing program competes with Win XP operating systems resources. About the only thing I don't have is a seperate hard drive just for the editing portion. I think this would make a big difference with Pinnacle 9.

After a lot of reading and research,I find that I have to perform the following things before I can run Pinacle 9:

1. Perform a Disk Clean-Up.
2. Defrag my hard drive no matter how small.
3. Shut down all programs running in the background.
4. I have even found that restarting my computer also helps although I have no clue as to why.
5. Another thing I did was to shut down all the fancy icons and desktop modes on Win. XP and go back to all Classic settings. These freed up a lot of resources, and solved some issues with Pinnacle crashing, although I have plenty of RAM and other sources?

All of this is a real pain, but the only way, I can get Pinnacle 9 to run. The last update, 9.12? where you also get the thousand plus holloywood locked effects, (which I could have done without), I notice that the program now crashes on a frequent basis.I have not found any solution to this problem, but thinking about deleting the last update.

I also have issues trying to burn a movie to a DVD, and think the problem is a conflict between Pinnacle and HP's CD/DVD writer?

I have also researched and tired out several other editing programs in the same price range and find all them lacking in one way or the other. If I was to do it again, (mainly because of the large learning curve), I think both of us would have opted for the top line program and started there.

Anyway, what I am becomiong to beleive is that all these guys want you to buy and use only their software and hardware. Ala, all this fine HP stuff I have does not work well with Pinnacle for some reason?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 13, 2004 at 2:47:10 pm

Yup, sounds about right on all points.

Video editing in itself is a lot of work. When you find the right computer/software combination NLE is truly rewarding.

Hard to blame any one of the three: Pinnacle, HP, or Microsoft, but it would be nice if they could all play together nicely. It is important to get the balance right. I am sure you can attest to the pain caused when the balance isn't there.

Win XP is great for NLE when it is set up properly.

Pinnacle has its problems, but the severity you are describing is over the top.

Regardless of the software, you *NEED* another drive dedicated for Video!

Do you have a non HP/Compaq/NEC machine that you can try the Pinnacle software on?

I surfed the Pinnacle site and was surprised to see such a large number of incompatibility posts, with no list of recommended or not recommended machines. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

By any chance, Have you looked at Canopus?

D

Return to posts index

zelkien69
on Jul 13, 2004 at 4:24:44 pm

Like I said before I have a new machine and it should be here on the 9th of August. It will have the Raid 0 config for any hard drive problems. Here's a couple of questions. Does having partitions matter? I have a partition for the software and one for the video storage. The transfer rates are +- 45000. Well, well, above suggested.
I don't know anything about their software or Storm packages but I have and open ear. How's their Customer Support (ha ha ha). As far as Canopus I'm deciding between a 100 or 300 AVDC. Money isn't a major issue, but i haven't seen a comparison between the two. Maybe because they are in different leagues. As far as software I'm leaning towards Adobe Premiere with After effects Std.
I'll be running VHS and Mini DV through a JVC 33 series. I'm not a proffesional video editor, hell i wouldn't be having this conversation, but I'm not trying to put together a pile of useless parts either.
Last question; on a video card is GB's of bandwidth or memory more important. EX...28GB bandwidth on 128meg or 22GB on 256meg video card. Speed on memory and core clock within 50mhz so no big difference there. Nvidia of course.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 14, 2004 at 4:05:25 pm

Zelkien69,

A Raid 0 array will of course be fast, but you should still have a physically separate drive for the system files and program. Having partitions gives you the appearance of separate drives, but not the advantages.

Adobe has a lot going for it. Steep learning curve. But as long as you get good books to help lead you through it and you should be fine. (The internet has tons of good information, it just takes forever to collect it one place.)

Pinnacle customer support?
Pinnacle support customer?
No.
Customer support Pinnacle.

I like Canopus, but have never bought their product. Only heard really good things from those using it.

Mac66,

Sounds like you got a raw deal too with Pinnacle. Wonder how many others here are having trouble. Or better yet, who is NOT having problems with their Pinnacle product?

Return to posts index

Vince
on Jul 25, 2004 at 5:52:20 pm

My System:

HP Media Center 400Y
P4 3.4/Hyper-Thread
250GB HD
128MB NVIDIA 5600
512 RAM

After three frustrating weeks of trying to burn a movie to DVD on my machine, after upteen visits with the HP techs, it was my wife whom fnally found the problem and it was not with Pinnacle.

When we bought our computers the combo CD/DVD writer was to have been for +/- R and RW CD/DVD's. Turns out that HP in their infinite screw-up, installed only a -R/RW on our machine. So sad to find this out after three weeks of frustration. Needless to say, this whole time has been spent trying to burn to the wrong discs. Even sadder is that almost a week of talking to HP's tech's they did not catch the problem....so after downlaoding patch's talking to techs, and pulling out my hair, it all comes down to HP not installing the right CD/DVD player in my computer.

So....after finding this out, I have burnt two still picture movies to DVD, both on +RW as I want to add to it. I have to say the quality came out excellent along with the sound. both videos were shown at a family gathering and the videos were raved about.

One remaining problem however are the frequent crash's after installing the latest Pinnacle update. After some housecleaning on the ocmputer and the habit of closing all programs and defraging before I use it, it has solved most of the problems.

(I have since realized that adding a seperate hard drive for video is probably going to be the solution, but so far I can work around this with my closing down everything and defragging before I use it.)

The one remaining glitch, is if I attempt to add one of the Alpha transitions the program automatically crashes' Not so, with the standard transitions but now only with the Alpha ones. So far I have no idea how to fix this one.

My partner on the other hand is trying out video, (I do only stills). Although he has been able to burn to DVD, his glitch no is that he cannot seem to burn to a VHS tape?

So....We have decided that we have had enough of trying to figure out the Pinnacle book or their site, and have signed up for a Pinnacle 9 class at our local computer store. I will post any useful information I glean from the class.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 27, 2004 at 2:00:38 pm

The ultimate "aha". Glad you had that moment. I sure hope you praised and thanked your wife profusely...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]