FORUMS: list search recent posts

MSP7: DV capture audio/video out of sync

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaincrunch
MSP7: DV capture audio/video out of sync
on Jun 23, 2004 at 7:43:47 pm

When trying to capture DV using firewire in MSPro7 Video Capture the audio and video are out of sync. There doesn't seem to be any controls enabled for audio when in DV capture mode.

MSPro7 manual doesn't say anything about this (that I could find). Am I missing something somewhere?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: MSP7: DV capture audio/video out of sync
on Jun 25, 2004 at 2:16:01 pm

With todays software and fast computers there is no reason to have bad sync. Something is not right with your computer. Being out of sync on capture is either a driver issue or a PCI/storage bottelneck.

1) Make sure you are running the latest VENDOR drivers for your sound card. graphics card and storage controller (if you have one)

2) Tweak your OS. Follow our WinXP or Win2K tips.

3) We recommend a dedicated drive for storage of your video. If you only have a single drive in your system, it could be fragmented.

We've got some great tech support tips on our website. here is a link to our top 10 tech support tips http://www.videoguys.com/Top10tech.htm

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 25, 2004 at 4:54:48 pm

When I am in the capture mode and going through the video to find clips to capture (playing from camera and controlling in VC) the playback loses sync. However, if I stop the player and restart it becomes OK for about 2 or 3 seconds.

Now, let me say this. The camera is not mine and is a Sony something (about $2500 worth). I was going through the menu and saw something about "A/V-DV Out" was "Off". Is it possible that was the problem?

The ATI AIWpro/radeon 9000 card apparently takes in audio with the video then sends it back out to the sound card input(weird?).

I have found that in VideoStudio 5.0 I get no audio with the DV in. I have to run separate Audio out from the camera to my sound card. (weird? again). That works fine and right now I haven't had time to fool with it.

Would like to lose VideoStudio and just have one (MSPro7) video program. I looked through the MSPro manual and it doesn't say anything about this.

Just wanted to see if there's been another similar problem out there somewhere. . ..somewhere, over the rainbow . . .sky's are . .

sorry . . .

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 25, 2004 at 5:06:41 pm

you should be using the firewire jack to connect your camcorder. If the camcorder is not DV, then you need to get a better capture card.

we do not recommend the all in wonder cads for any kind of serious NLE use.

Gary

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 25, 2004 at 7:45:38 pm

I AM using firewire! That's whats so strange. I don't see how they get out of sync?

I haven't tried to actually capture any footage yet. I will, and see if the captured clip plays back out of sync. It may be that audio is getting delayed somewhere downline.

I don't suppose that MSPro7 program could be causing this?

SoundMax is my sound card (made in the mother board).

By the way, where can I find out WHY you don't recommed the AIW stuff? (not that it matters now)

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jun 25, 2004 at 7:59:03 pm

Unplug your camcorder's analog-audio out from the soundcard or the ATI breakout box and capture a short clip through the firewire card. Then play the clip and see if you have audio if it is in sync.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 25, 2004 at 8:17:38 pm

Been trying to research ATI to find out why you don't recommend it and found this quote in your "Getting Started" section:

"You do NOT want a computer with built in graphics card. This is one of our biggest tech support issues. Make sure you get at least an 32 Meg AGP graphics card (64 is better). We recommend an ATI Radeon, Matrox G550/650, GeForce or Nvidia card."

Well, the ATI All-in-wonder pro uses the Radeon 9000. What's the difference?

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 25, 2004 at 8:23:03 pm

Let me back up. . . .
When using MSPro Video Capture I only connected via FW. This is where the audio gets out of sync during play off the camera.

When using VideoStudio 5.0 I get NO audio when hooked up via FW and then must run analog audio to sound card. Matter of fact, audio won't work through the "break out box" either, that's why I had to go directly to the sound card input.

I think it's the ATI card . . . .

Now I'm worried, haven't tried to capture analog A/V yet . . . could be a problem! Most of my stuff is Hi8, too!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jun 26, 2004 at 2:35:58 am

Take a look at this thread on the "Getting Started" forum:

http://videoguys.forumexperts.com/bforum.mv?forum=6&module=view&vie...

The short of it is that AIW's AGP capture cards tend to conflict with other PCI video capture cards, but not with external analog-DV converters.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jun 26, 2004 at 2:38:32 am

Do you mean that when you play the already captured file on your computer you have no audio or that you do not hear audio when capturing the video?

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 26, 2004 at 11:33:31 am

I don't know how to ..splain any better;

I have NOT captured any footage on computer. VC controls my camera through FW. I'm playing footage off the camera, viewing through the computer, but have not CAPTURED any yet, just watching it. This is where the a/v loses sync.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 26, 2004 at 11:52:04 am

OK, please be patient, I'm not as smart as I look .. .

Is a FW card considered a "capture" card? Because that is the only PCI card I have. The ATI card is the AGP(short white socket?). I don't have another capture card to conflict with.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 26, 2004 at 3:37:54 pm

Stop! Do not pass go! Do not collect $200 dollars.

CAPTURE FOOTAGE!! I repeat CAPTURE FOOTAGE!

Everyone here is thinking that the audio is out of sync on the captured footage. This is not the case. My guess is that your footage will capture and play back PERFECTLY via firewire.

What I think you are experiencing is a delay between the firewire decode and the sound cards decode driver for playback. This can happen on some systems. The A/V capture and playback drivers of the AIW can also contribute to this. What I suggest is you monitor audio directly fromt he camocrder during capture.

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 26, 2004 at 3:53:00 pm

Why we don't recommend All In Wonder cards.

Todays NLE software is designed primarily for DV CODECs. The CODEC is the algorythm used to encode and decode the video file. When you use the AV jacks on an all in wonder card you are not capturing into DV footage. You are capturing mjpeg or some other avi CODEC. (Note: AIW cards with built-in FireWire ports do capture to DV and they fair much better - when using footage captured via FireWire from a DV cam)

When you try and use another capture device (even an OHCI firewire card) the drivers for the AIW often cause problems. These can be poor AV sync, stutering playback and general system instability.
More often then not these issues are caused by the ATI drivers creating problems for the NLE software. The software tries to work with botht he AIW and the other capture card, and the results are less then perfect.

AIW is a great card for those wanting to toy around with short video clips or those wanting to capture footage and then compress it down for web or VCD. At these lower quality video compressions you can capture longer video clips. When used for higher quality these CODECs are not efficient and require to much processing and bandwidth. As a result it is not adequate for more serious editing. Capturing DV quality video that is longer then 5 minutes is problematic.

In short - we don't recommend AIW for NLE. If you need to get analog footage into your computer, get an OHCI firewire card and use a n AV/DV converter like ADVC100/MovieBox/Dac-100

Or get a real-time capture card like the MAtrox RTX100 or Canopus DV Storm.

Regardless, get rid of the AIW if you want to edit video. It's creates far more problems then it is worth.

Gary

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jun 27, 2004 at 3:24:41 am

A fire wire card is not a PCI capture card. When you capture DV from a camcorder or from an analog-DV converter, you are importing already digitized video, not digitizing analog video as you were with the Rainbow Runner. As the video plays, the computer copies the video and saves it as DV .avi.

Before you go any further, you must at least experiment with capturing the DV. Connect your camcorder through the fire wire port and the fire wire port only. Turn it on and put it in playback mode, but not acutally playing. Open the MSP7 capture module and click capture. The camcorder should begin playing and MSP7 should display the video and audio as it plays.

Please try it.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jun 27, 2004 at 3:37:15 am

I second that motion!

When I view video from my video camera through the firewire I can see places where it "seems" the video is not the same as the audio.

But this is only because of MSP 7.0's overlay process. I capture just fine, no dropped frames and beautiful DV footage.

YES, YES, YES, CAPTURE FOOTAGE FIRST!

Then come back and chat...

Happy editing!

(Oh, and by the way, listen to the voices on the page. Very rarely do they tell you NOT to use something. Some cards just don't like the demands of Video. My ADS Pyro is a charm. My Adaptec DuoConnect isn't up for DV. (But the USB 2.0 works fine...)

Don't bang your head agains the wall. It hurts your head... Get a card that is recommended to work and then have fun editing!

Dylan

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 27, 2004 at 1:04:57 pm

Thank you so much Gary and Dylan! There for a moment I thought I was loosing it and couldn't explain myself!

In St Augustine Fla this week and will try to capture next week.

I captured and edited 20 min of video (1 t 3 min clips) using VideoStudio 5.0 with FW AND analog audio to sound card, and it did great! all in sync. Strange?

Stand by!!!! I shall return . . .

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jun 30, 2004 at 2:12:55 pm

Ah.... Halfway home. Next try something long!

Good Luck and happy editing!

D

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jul 21, 2004 at 12:11:38 pm

OK . . . finally captured footage via DV and NO AUDIO CABLES!

IT WORKS!!! Yes, I have audio and it is in sync! (duh!)

I really don't want to capture things too long. This project is a golf program for a local cable channel. The longest clip is usually 3 to 4 minutes and most of the time I'll insert close-ups or other shots to break it up.

I don't think I'll be doing full length films (at least I hope not! doing this project is hard enough!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]