FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperThreading on a budget?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan C
HyperThreading on a budget?
on Apr 10, 2004 at 9:40:11 pm

Just curious if HyperThreading is worth it on budget editing systems such as Pinnacle 9 AV/DV? I don't want to drop the $$ for Premiere, but my Dell 8250 MoBo/Bios is HyperThread ready if I spring for a 3.06/533 processor. Thanks Alan

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: HyperThreading on a budget?
on Apr 11, 2004 at 1:29:37 pm

http://www.intel.com/personal/products/pentium4/hyperthreading.htm

This is a link to an Intel page explaining the benefits of hyper-threading. As I understand it, hyperthreading's primary benefit is to multitasking. However, the increase in processor speed itself would speed up encoding roughly in proportion to the difference in processor speeds. For example, my now-deceased 2.53GHZ P4 without hyperthreading took about (can't be more specific) four minutes to encode two minutes of DV .avi to NTSC DVD-compliant MPEG-2. I had a look at a Sony VAIO 2.8GHZ yesterday that took 3 minutes 45 seconds to encode a simple 2 minute DV .avi to NTSC DVD-compliant MPEG-2. So, a 270MHZ increase in processor speed produced about 15 seconds improvement in processing time.

The VAIO uses integrated graphics and does not have a dedicated video drive both of which could affect the processing time a little.

Sony Screenblast Movie Studio and Ulead Video Studio 7 are two budget video editing programs that are optimized for hyperthreading. I thought Studio 9 had been optimized for it too, but I can't find anything on the Studio 9 page that says so.

I did the comparison using Video Studio 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]