FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video capture is too dark

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Christie
Video capture is too dark
on Jan 10, 2004 at 5:27:09 pm

When capturing my DV camcorder files via firewire, I notice that the captured video is noticeably not as bright or color correct as in my camcorder viewer. I always have to adjust brightness and contrast on each clip before I render out to final movie. I can find no settings anywhere to adjust the quality of the capture for the firewire card. I use Videowave and none of the pulldown menus allow me to adjust brightness, contrast or color intensity. I used WinDV on a tip from someone else and capture quality was same. It appears it's a computer setting and not a software issue since I got same result in two diff. capture programs.

I can also capture my video through my analog capture card (ATI All in Wonder) on same computer. Results are same, however in the analog capture mode, Videowave 4 allows access to settings menu that lets me adjust brightness, contrast and color in capture mode, I don't get option when I select DV camcorder capture through firewire. Thanks for your help.

Compaq, Pentium 3, 667 Celeron, 384 RAM, 15G sys drive, 40G video storage drive, Win XP, Videowave editor, Firewire card.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Video capture is too dark
on Jan 10, 2004 at 5:57:59 pm

with a firewire capture the video is imported into the computer exactly as it is in the camera. What could be going on here is that you have the brightness settings very high on the camcorders viewfinder, giving you an unrealistic expectation on the actual video quality.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Larry Christie
on Jan 10, 2004 at 7:59:10 pm

Thanks Gary for your reply. I thought the same thing about viewfinder but it's on normal settings.

Another clue: when I hook the camcorder direct to TV and view it there, the video playback looks bright and vibrant like on camcorder viewer. That's why I think somehow I'm losing picture quality in the capture process. And I get the same results regardless of which capture software I use (Adobe v6, Videowave, WinDV, Win Movie Maker)

The display adapter I use on my computer is my ATI AIW card (128 RAGE PRO). Would that have anything to do with it? Any other suggestions?

Regards, Larry in Panama City

Return to posts index

Alan C
on Jan 15, 2004 at 11:18:36 pm

This may be too simple, but are the brightness and contrast on your monitor set too low? You could find out by viewing a store bought DVD on your PC and then comparing it to the brightness when playing on your TV. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]