FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid User Looking at Vegas Video

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natemare13
Avid User Looking at Vegas Video
on Dec 2, 2003 at 10:41:37 pm

Hey, I know there was a discussion on AVID vs Vegas. I currently am a user of Avid Xpress DV 3.5 and recently was introduced to Vegas by a family member whome also edits. Iv purchased vegas video 4.0 on a whim and am contemplating on which one i should stick with. I also purchased the 4 dvd class on demand set for learning vegas video.
I'v been fooling with Avid successfully for about 10 months. I have already made quite a few project with it. I cannot say that i have unleashed all the power of Avid (due to lack of knowladge) however, I like the way Avid is laid out. Its really a workflow that makes tools available in a blink of an eye, where as vegas you have to "hunt" (or open 10,000 windows to get what you need). Im not really trying to point out which one is better because i honestly dont know..but i am Possing a question to the Avid/Vegas community....Is it worth Learning Vegas from scratch or Is it worth Learning Avid more in depth..meaning, if Avid is more powerful when used to full ability i would wanna learn more about it then start all over with vegas (and its messy timeline!!!!). Like i said i dont know all the knobs in avid, but on first glance it looks like vegas can do alot more compositing and "After effects" like effects. where as avid is maybe lacking (again if there are compositing tools and "after effects" type effects in avid, then i havnt found them)..SO, let me know what you think...Avid more in depth or Vegas from scratch?

ONE LAST POINT....TO EVERYONE..unlike Vegas, AVID IS VERY VERY PICKY AS TO WHAT YOU CAN AND CANT IMPORT/EXPORT AS MEDIA!!! This made me by trial and error find a set workflow for importing, editing, and exporting all diff types of media in avid..where as vegas can import export almost anything that can be viwied in the windows enviroment!!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Avid User Looking at Vegas Video
on Dec 3, 2003 at 3:31:18 pm

Great post and excellent questions. For pure cutting and editing NOTHING beats Avid. But as you have already discovers Vegas is far more flexible and it has more FX/filters/goodies.

I think you are going to end up keeping both tools in the toolchest. Especially if you will need to create and edit video from multiple formats/CODECs. This is where Vegas blows away every other product in it's class. It's also a pretty powerful compositor for creating multiple layered video sequences.

My best advice is to get our Avid editing book and master both applications. Then you'll start thinking about which one is right for which project. You may even see some of this expertise start to effect your pre-production and shooting. In the end you'll be editing and producing better video.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]