FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amount of Disk space for 2hours of video

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todomartinez
Amount of Disk space for 2hours of video
on Nov 3, 2003 at 2:15:56 am

Ok,

Every FAQ I've seen on size of DVD video is that 2 hours should fit on a DVD disk. I'm using Ulead and I am capturing analog video on an Nvidia Personal Cinema Video card and the mpeg's generated are around 6 Gig's. I'd really like to keep my 2 hour tapes on one DVD. Any pointers for me?????

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Amount of Disk space for 2hours of video
on Nov 3, 2003 at 4:21:37 am

What are your capture settings?

Return to posts index

JasonM
on Dec 9, 2003 at 9:32:22 pm

It really depends upon your Capturing BitRate.

I noticed that with a BitRate of 6000 My file size for any video ended up being roughly 640Mbs for 14 Minutes and 11 Seconds worth of video. For 2 hours of video this gives you roughly 5442.95 Mbs as your file size. No this will not allow you to put it onto one DVD.

You will either need to run the file through TMPGenc and change the bitrate of the file, or change your capture settings to a lower bitrate to allow the video to fit. There are different bitrate calculators out that can help you figure out what will give you the best bitrate without sacrificing too much in the way of video quality, but a good starting point would be around 4600 for a bitrate. Find out what the file size is after you capture again and see if the quality is good enough for what you want.

I hope this helps...

Jason

Return to posts index

todomartinez
on Dec 14, 2003 at 5:11:28 am

I can't beleive that I haven't replied to my replies. My bitrate setting in Ulead is 8000. I guess it is set a bit high. I think I've captured about 30 tapes and most of these tapes were 2HRS!!!! I've since upgraded to Ulead 7.0. Talk about settings all over the place. My original goal was to archive my 8mm tapes to DVD. I went all out and added a 250 and 120 gig drives. I'm running a 2.53 P4 with 256k RAM and my Nvidia personal cinema. I'm just a little bummed that I have to recapture or change the settings on the video I've captured. All I've got to say is that I'm pretty knowledgeable with computers but this video stuff is a little more complicated than I originally thought.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 14, 2003 at 6:57:54 am

Well, according to the Guy Graphics Bitrate Calculator, 120 Minutes of video with AC-3 audio at 192 kbits/sec would require an average bitrate of 4899 kbits/second. If you have to encode using PCM audio, your video would have to drop down to 3491. If you're going to make complex menus, you'd need to drop those rates a little.

The source DV would be about 26 GB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]