FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microsoft XP versus 2000 Pro

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dgterry
Microsoft XP versus 2000 Pro
on Sep 27, 2003 at 2:28:35 pm

I recently upgraded to Tyan Thunder M/B with O/board Ultra 320 and P-4, 2.8 gig dual processors with 1.0 gig ram. and will be installing the upgrade to Edition 5 Pro. (and soon to Liquid Edition Pro)
I am currently running Windows 2000 Pro, is there any real advantage in upgrading to Windows XP

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Microsoft XP versus 2000 Pro
on Sep 27, 2003 at 5:25:34 pm

I'd recommend XP Pro, as it supports more multimedia devices and operates dual processors more effectively. Previous to XP Pro, I personally would not recommend dual processor systems for workstations. On NT4, duals actually would slow down the system, as the two processors spent more time fighting each other for control than they'd cooperate on running your programs. I'd only use multiple processors on servers, as the server kernel IS designed to effectively use more than one cpu. Windows 2000 was a big improvement over NT, but Microsoft finally got it right in XP Pro.

That's changed with XP Pro. My dual Athlon XP Pro system is stable, using both cpu's effectively. Realize that not all software will use both cpu's. For example, Premiere uses both cpu's, but DVDit does not. When I do have to render in Premiere, both cpu's will run at about 65% utilization. The limitation being disk I/O, not cpu performance. When I run DVDit, and it's creating the DVD image, one cpu runs at 100$, and the other runs at 5%.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]