FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV500 DVD, Premiere 6.5 and Impression Pro

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mb_dvd
DV500 DVD, Premiere 6.5 and Impression Pro
on Sep 18, 2003 at 5:12:20 pm

What is the future for these products...

I get emails all the time from Pinnacle to move off Premier, but I hear nothing about enhancements to Premiere 6.5. Is adobe abandoning Premier to force us to Premiere Pro.

And now I read that the DV500 DVD will not be supported by Premier Pro?? I have read that Pinnicle will not develop the drivers for the DV500 DVD AND what about Pinnacle Video Studio 7 does it support the DV500 DVD card...

I bought the DV500 Pro & Premiere less than 1 year ago from Video Guys... so was that a bad choice and recommendation? What is the future for this combiniation?

What About Impression Pro it looks dead as a doornail.. any comments on its future?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DV500 DVD, Premiere 6.5 and Impression Pro
on Sep 18, 2003 at 7:23:12 pm

Pinnacle announced back at DV Expo that they would not support Premiere Pro for their legacy hardware (ie DV500, Pro-One). They would still support Premeire 6.5. here is my DV expo report http://www.videoguys.com/dvexpo.html

Pinnacle wants you to switch over from Premeire 6.5 to their new Edition NLE. Edition is very good and i recommend you rread my hands on review of it http://www.videoguys.com/Edition5review.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mb_dvd
on Sep 19, 2003 at 12:30:21 pm

Pinnacle Addition Pro is $499.00 that is NOT an upgrade, that is what I paid for Premiere 6.5 and DV500 DVD and now I have to re-purchase either Premier Pro (which makes my DV500 DVD useless) or purchase Pinnacle’s Liquid Edition also $499.00 (which makes my hardware useless). Yes I can try and keep either of these new software packages running at the same time with Premiere for analog capturing... but that is a lot to expect... considering the incompatibilities of these software packages in the past…

I purchased these in January of this year from VideoGuys...
Isn't there some specials for people that were unaware (NOT TOLD) that a big change was about to happen... I asked Pinnacle, Videoguys and adobe before I purchased and no one warned that a big change was about to happen....

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 19, 2003 at 1:28:28 pm

While it may seem like just a short time, 9 months is a very long time in terms of technology. Competition forces all players int ehmarket to keep pushing the technology forward. Along the way some older technologies become obsolete, while other remain functional, just not state-of-the-art. You DV50o w. Premiere 6.5 is stilla solid prodcut and it will continue to function as always in your system. I

If you choose to migrate to the latest technology - either Premiere Pro or Edition, you will have to leave your old hardware and move on.

Gary

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mb_dvd
on Sep 19, 2003 at 6:49:52 pm

You are right... 9 months is a long time in software/technology...
But....

3 months ago this software/hardware was released publicly.
That means at least 3 months before that they were doing BETAs
And 1-3 months preceeding that the BIG payers and beta sites were being breifed what was comming and beta sites being screened...

Wow... Just when I purchased my hardware/software.

I am an director in the business of selling/manufacturing software and hardware and have been for over 20 years... so don't try and say 6 month is an eturnity. I know very well the process of going public with software and hardware!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 19, 2003 at 7:23:41 pm

Back in April at NAB the first hints of Premeire 7 (also renamed Premeire Pro) shipping this year were leaking out. At that time we did not have any word on what hardware would be required and or supported. Avid rocked the show by announcing their all new product line-up featuring new software that leverages the computers speed & power. They also introduced their DNA NLE accelerator products. This was major industry news that caught everyone by surprise. The winds of change were blowing and we could see a shift from proprietary hardware solutions to software based NLEs that required little more then a FireWire card and a fast computer.

At DV Expo in July Pinnacle announced that they would not support Premiere Pro for legacy hardware. Adobe announced that Premeire Pro would be WinXP only - no Mac. These were major industry news stories that were talked about on message boards and user groups all over the world. It took most people by surprise including industry insiders. Including me.

I'm sorry you are no longer happy with your DV500 purchase. There was no great conspiracy here. just the technology moving forward. And the DV500 card, when it first started shipping back in 2000 was a breakthrough product. the fact that the hardware stuck around for 3 years is a testiment to its engineering. Unfortunatley like all technology products it has reached the end of the road for its usefulness. It will still work great with premeire 6.5, but it won't be supported by Premeire Pro.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]