FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing multicamera shoots

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RandyBarth
Editing multicamera shoots
on Jul 23, 2003 at 5:10:48 pm

I've been following the Premiere Pro and Pinnicle Edition discussions. For several years I've been using Premiere to edit multicamera shoots of stage plays. Typically I'll have 4 in-camera tapes plus a real time (Videonics MX-1) edit master. I'll load in the real-time SVHS tape to track 1B and the 4 cameras on video tracks 2-5 (a mixture of DV, D8, and Hi8). I use the audio tracks to sync the video, then suppress the video 2-5 and lesser audio tracks.

Anywhere that the real time choice was inferior, I'll slice a shot from the better camera to drop down to the 1A track--sometimes I'll go for several minutes completely replacing the real-time edit; other times there will be long stretches where the real-time was as good as it gets.

For the most part I'm comfortable with Premiere though it does crash more than I'd like--I'm hoping the "Pro" rewrite will help that. OTOH, Edition looks very good, though I remember a good bit of hassles with Dazzle software in the past. I used Dazzle AV.Now before I got my digital camcorder to do the A-D conversion.

My question (finally!) is whether Edition will handle the multicamera shoot similarly enough to be a contender. I know these products are all much more oriented to assembling independent clips. Being able to turn off whole tracks in the timeline is important since it lets me sync all tracks once and then just slice the pieces and move them to 1A maintaining sync. If I lose that, the process becomes much less efficient.

Thanks for your help.

-Randy Barth, Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]