FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinion about Software to edit & resave MPEG2

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samdvd1
Opinion about Software to edit & resave MPEG2
on Apr 27, 2003 at 10:08:21 pm

Hope this is not too elementary (just starting here Smile ).

I have a pc with a ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Radeon card that I have been capturing TV programs in MPEG2 format. I want to take each program, edit out the commercials, and burn them to DVD so I can watch them later and not fill up my hard drive.

I've tried Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 2 which is easy enough to use for the removal of the commercials. However, it doesn't seem to have a facility to save the newly edited file (without commercials) that shows less overall time elapsed (an average 30 minute program has 5-7 minutes of commercials). Meaning, even though the commercials are "removed", the elapsed time shown on the time bar is the same as the original recording, which means I can't fit as many programs on to 1 DVD.

Does anyone have a suggestion of another Software package that will:

- Allow me to take the original MPEG2 file, edit the commercials out and save it as an MPEG2 file?
- Make sure that if the commercials are removed, that the file size is smaller after it is resaved as a new file.
- Take multiple MPEG2 files and allow some authoring (like menus) and them burn them reasonably quickly to a Sony DRX500UL.
- Is reasonably easy to use (but preferrably with better documentation than DVD MovieFactory 2).

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

newguy
Re: Opinion about Software to edit & resave MP
on Apr 28, 2003 at 2:51:49 am

Hi,
the best way is to capture in DV avi format, edit it export to mpeg 2.
If you want to capture mpeg 2 then, use need tools to cut & join it. this depends on how much you want to spend. some are extremly expensive others are very cheap (free) :)
DVD authoring application is also various. if you want better then the one you have, purchase workshop or ReelDVD, Impression Pro, etc.
dvdrhelp.com shows you from a to z.
NG

Return to posts index

samdvd1
on Apr 28, 2003 at 3:32:41 pm

Thanks very much for the information. DVDRHelp is a great site! I've got a lot to learn...

Any recommendations on a AVI file editor that saves to MPEG2?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Apr 28, 2003 at 4:30:10 pm

Try Ulead's Video Studio 7 for editing Mpeg. You can download a trial copy from their site.

Return to posts index

Bandit
on Jun 28, 2003 at 10:32:32 am

I've been using the Ulead VideoStudio for two months now. I take my and other peoples VCR tapes and edit and burn to DVD. I also tape TV programs and edit out the unwanted stuff and burn to DVD. Now, I've useed Adobe Premiere 5.5, Arcsoft Showbiz, Dazzle MovieStar 5.0 and a few trial downloads. This Ulead VS 7 seems to be bug and error free. It has a built in DVD authoring software and as of yet I have had no problems with it. The editing software is easy to use (beginners may get a little angry with it). During editing with VS 7 you can click one tab and get a program to extract commercials, etc from your clip. It has a jog bar and a box where you can advance or retard your clip in one second increments up to 100 seconds, This makes getting to the exact frame fast and easy. Your capture card should be fine, I'm using ATI 8500 Pro 128mg.Ulead and ATI bundle their stuff together so compatablilty should not be an issue.
If this has been any help to you and you want to know more, reply to this and we will see if what worked for me will work for you.
Good luck

Bandit bandit28737@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]