FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can any cards capture avis greater than 4gb

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SCO
Can any cards capture avis greater than 4gb
by
on Jul 27, 2002 at 12:22:35 am

I have win2k. The canapus card I have cannot capture file clips greater than 4gb apparently because the canapus capture codec will not allow this. I see that Pyro cards have the same limitation per company product specs. I can however create unlimited size avis with premiere6 in the canapus codec though I havnt tried to save those big files back to dv tape. I go from these big avis to MPEG2. Premiere, though it will create large canapus avis, cannot import them from the camera in greater than 2 gb chunks if my initial testing was correct and not limited by some software setting that I don't know about. The question:
Can premiere capture big files(greater than 4gb) directly from a dv camera using any currently mfgd firewire card ? Which ones?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Can any cards capture avis greater than 4gb
on Jul 27, 2002 at 4:15:06 am

First, you need to have two drives, one boot and one video on different IDE channels.

Next, you have to format the drive in NTFS format, which doesn't have a filesize limitation, unlike FAT32.

I recently upgraded from a Matrox RT2000 to a Matrox X100. Both capture video as large contiguous files in Premiere using this drive configuration. My reason for upgrading to the X100 was the realtime DVD video format export with the X100 card, which works as advertised. If you're interested in DVD authoring, you should definitely consider the X100.

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Jul 29, 2002 at 4:54:11 pm

I do have seperate drives for boot and video on different IDE channels, master for both. I am formatted in NTFS and Premiere does edit my clips together to create large( 17 gb for example) files. I just cant capture greater than 2 or 4 gb files. With my canopus card, the capture file size is 4gb max regardless of the NTSF file format. I am looking for a cheap firewire card capture controlled by Premiere 6. ADS Pyro seems to be the #1 card according to what I've read but their blurb says there is a 4gb flie capture size limit. I would think some card could do this. I am wondering if the pyro or other with premiere 6 capture and a NTFS file format will do the trick? The Matrox card would be overkill for me and my use. I have a 2nd computer and thought I might give it an 80 gb hd, $100.00 firewire card, pioneer 104 dvd burner and have a 2nd capture system at the house.

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Jul 29, 2002 at 10:20:26 pm

Answer of my own question
see this link:
http://www.wwug.com/forums/adobe_premiere/index.htm
search for "How to avoid the file size limit in Premiere"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved