FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere's bad rep

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ciabt
Premiere's bad rep
on Apr 15, 2003 at 2:10:55 pm

Hi there
Yes I hope it is more stable as well, but too be honest I don't think the problems are always Premiere's fault, usually it has to do with hardware conflict. I used to have a pinnacle DV200 capture card running premiere and it used to crash all the time and the card would hardly work right, but now I have the Matrox RTX100 and Premiere has only crashed maybe once on me (in almost a year). We probably hear about so many problems about premiere because it is the most widely used program around the world and everyone has there horror story. Also probably over 95% of the machines running premiere aren't actually dedicated editing machines, they are off the shelf computers (or old computers) with only 1 hard drive and little ram and usually used to play games and download numerous programs from the net. With so many people around the world using it of course there are going to be so many horror stories and this has caused Premiere to get a bad rep. For example look at Windows and Mac based machines, Macs claim that there are less viruses that can affect Macs, which is true, but if you look at how many more Windows based machines then Macs you will see that there are like 85% (not statistic) more people to write viruses for the PC and if you actually compared the amount of viruses on both machines to the amount of machines they would probably come out fairly close. Premiere is a great editor, it is stable and can do just about everything any other editor can do (including the multimillion dollar avid suites) (perhaps not as quick, but should be able to the same things) and besides editing software is just a tool, its really up to the editor, how well he knows the program and how creative he is that is important. If you are a really good editor people won't be able to tell what software its edited on. I use Premiere to edit with, I learned how to use Final Cut Pro and it seems like a great program too but I am much more fermiliar with Premiere's ins and outs and can personally edit faster and more precise with premiere. I have to admit I was thinking of getting avid Xpress DV just cause all you hear is avid this avid that so I went over to a friends house and tried playing around with it for a few hours and basically go no where. I decided I didn't have the time to learn another program right now and that premiere can do everything I need it to do and more. I'd rather be able to edit well on Premiere and have people think it was done on an avid then use an avid and have people think I used premiere (what people assume when it doesn't look good). Basically I think Premiere is a very solid program and love how it integrates easily with Photoshop and After Effects. I think it does have a bad undeserved rep. I think vegas 4 and all the other software programs I mentioned are also great programs, but ultimately it comes down which you are most comfortable using because of the software, not the name!

Well thats just my opinion, hope you have a great day and Happy editing!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

treetsux
Re: Premiere's bad rep
on Apr 16, 2003 at 6:40:32 am

my box isnt a dedicated editor, i actually use it more as my everyday editor. i only have 1 80gb hd and 256 mb RAM. in the 9 months that ive been running this, i cant recall a single time that premier has crashed on me. ive been thinking about giving avid express a shot though, we use avids at work for all non-linear stuff, and i think it might be a good idea for me to know what im doing as far as using that software (im told avid and avid express share alot of things) but as far as premiere goes, i like it.

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Apr 20, 2003 at 9:13:11 pm

Hi there
Nice to hear something positive about premiere for a change. Yeah that probably would be a good thing to learn Avid Xpress I'm sure it would help you out alot at work! Happy editing, I'm happy to hear that premiere's working so well for you, good luck with it!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

NeedHelpBadly
on Apr 22, 2003 at 5:57:37 pm

Premiere is excellent! I love using it. I am also eager to check out Vegas video 4.0.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]