FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere 5.5 for a beginner

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
The RAT
Premiere 5.5 for a beginner
on Apr 9, 2003 at 1:47:58 pm

Hello I am just about to start to get into DV editing. My computer runs a P4 2.4mhz 512ddr ram and a 80gig hard drive and 98 windows. My friend has a copy of premiere 5.5 which he can get from his work,but has no idea about it, like me. Will my computer be able to handle the software and will I be able to work it out??. I also have to buy a capture card that works well with this software.Does anybody know of a capture card that works well with Premiere 5.5??Which isnt to expensive between $200-$400.My goal is to make VHS tapes or DVD short highlights of my holidays with music behind it and a few effects ect.Am I heading in the right direction or is there easier software packages out there that will do what I want??Thanks

Return to posts index

jaybird
Re: Premiere 5.5 for a beginner
on Apr 9, 2003 at 6:53:30 pm

I would suggest that premiere is a good program to use, however there are a few things to remember. Premiere is not necessarily easy to use. It is not hard but it takes some getting used to. There is a lot of functionality in premiere but if you don't need the advanced features it's not worth the price. If you have access to it for free, go for it. Premiere runs differently on every version of windows I have seen it on. It should run well on 98 given that you have plenty of resources.
On the capture card front. If you have a fire wire port you don't necessarily "need" a capture card. You can transfer from a dv cam with nothing more than a fire wire port. I do this it at home, while at work we are equipped with higher end pinnacle cards. Having a hardware capture card may add more functionality (depending on the card) If you are going to get one, I wouldn't shell out a whole bunch of money. A lot of what you pay for is overkill, and if your edits aren't going to be too advanced save your money. If you are planning on working with DVD make sure you have something that will allow you to work with mpeg-2. I can't remember in 5.5 does or not. Version 6 does not, and 6.5 sort of does. I hope this has helped. If you want specifics about cards this forum is a good place to look. Best of luck

Jaybird

Return to posts index

newguy
Re: Premiere 5.5 for a beginner
on Apr 12, 2003 at 4:04:04 am

another choice, you can use a mpeg 2 plug in encoder to export to mpeg format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]