FORUMS: list search recent posts

NLE modalities

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Michael
NLE modalities
on Apr 5, 2003 at 3:24:35 pm

What is the difference between Vegas 4 as an NLE solution and others such as Matrox RTX.100? How does one capture analog video without a capture card?

I suppose with a digital video camera or other digital imaging source that the dv can be uploaded directly, without a capture card, through a USB or Firewire connection. Is the capture card only necessary for capture and conversion of analog video? Does a capture card serve other intrinsic functions for NLE with embedded or bundled software?

Could Vegas 4 be usefully combined with a capture card such as the RTX.10 or RTX.100? That is, would they complement each other or would they detract from each other? Or is it "Apples & Oranges"?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: NLE modalities
on Apr 5, 2003 at 5:53:26 pm

The difference is software versus hardware+software. The RT.X100 uses a combination of hardware with software to achieve realtime effects during editing and realtime transcoding for DVD.

Vegas is a software solution. Software solutions can often do the same things as the hardware systems, but will have to take time to render the effect.

The X100 can capture analog, because it has the hardware to do the digitizing. You can achieve the same thing with some DV camcorders, as they'll digitize their analog video input on the fly and pass it out their firewire port. I'd avoid USB port capture devices. USB wasn't designed to support continuous streaming.

Realtime capture cards, like the X100 (which I own), are only compatible with the editing software that the vendor has supplied drivers for. In the X100 case, it's the included copy of Premiere. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a realtime card, if you're not going to use the software that the hardware supports. You could capture your video with the realtime card and use it in another editing package, but you'd lose all the realtime features.

Return to posts index

Rodney Michael
Re: NLE modalities
on Apr 8, 2003 at 11:36:51 pm

Thanks much for the thoughtful answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]