FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions For My Needs? VV/AVID/Laptop

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
djlurch
Suggestions For My Needs? VV/AVID/Laptop
on Jan 22, 2003 at 12:13:54 am

I'd appreciate any responses to my situation.

My current computer/technical skill: High
My current knowledge of video editing: Low-Medium. I used to edit in the old days of control tracks. I've downloaded Premier, Ulead, and Vegas Video and have figured out how to use several of the features.

My equipment: 1.6GHZ laptop, 256MB RAM, possible addition of firewire card/hard drive if required. I really would like to edit with this (mobile situations - see below).

My budget: targeting for $1000 or less.

My goals:
#1) Photo montages for weddings with the possibility of adding video clips to the montage. The clips will be shot the same day (with a DV camera) and would need to be imported and edited very, very quickly. I would have 15 minutes to do this (import/editing speed important).

#2) Creation of videos to be used for marketing my business (10 minutes max)

#3) Have capability to use some plug-ins, or at least the flexibility to do semi-snazzy stuff.

The good news is that I would qualify for the student discounts. I saw Avid has a $499 student price (normally $1799). Vegas Video also has a student price of about $200.

My impressions:
Adobe: ok, no preview window, have to wait for rendering to see it (?)
Vegas Video: love the product, fear it may be limited for plug-ins (?)
Avid: couldn't find a demo, fear it may be too complex for my quick editing requirements
Ulead: blows IMHO

So my question is: Is Vegas for me, or should I more fully research Avid?

If I render the video montage beforehand and do simple transitions to the fresh video, will it take a long time to render the new file?

I have an RCA out on my laptop, is there a way to output directly to this (I would be hooking into an LCD projector).

Also, for my laptop, do I just need a IEEE1394 card to import from DV?

Thanks,
Troy

Return to posts index

nickvansmack
Re: Suggestions For My Needs? VV/AVID/Laptop
on Jan 24, 2003 at 1:32:01 am

If you want to go further in the future, definitely Avid XpressDV.
This and Boris Red is killer setup. I have it, haven't used it...YET.

I was pondering VV3 as well, but doesn't allow you to use plugins like Boris, but if you will stop there and are fine with VV, then get it for the lower cost.

My suggestion, get your feet wet (I got Pinnacle Studio 8 for $50 w/$50 rebate...ie Free around Xmass) with Studio 8.

Did my first edit, 2 minutes video...6 hours editing with it.

Its iMovie for PC, not as stable but ok. Then decide from there if you want Avid or VV....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]