FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Do TV Commercials Look SO Much Better ????

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ProDVD_Authoring
Why Do TV Commercials Look SO Much Better ????
on Jan 13, 2003 at 5:03:10 am

Hello Fellow Cutters:
I've worked in the Film & Television industry for over 20 years (15 of them as a professional video editor). I've used DPS and AVID NLE's. Both systems produce excellent, professional, broadcast quality results and I've been more than pleased with the quality I've been able to obtain by using them. However, when I see my stuff broadcast it looks quite good, but when I see the TV commercials they look incredibly great ! The quality of the video on network TV commercials look significantly superior to any networked filmed or high definition taped series.
Can anyone tell me what kind of NLE system(s) they are using ? In my market editors are using Matrox, DPS and Avid for TV commercials, but frankly, these systems (as good as they are)simply do not produce results which, in my opinion, are on a par with whatever the high end advertising houses are using.
The advertising industry is a very competitive one and they do not like to disclose any of the tools and tricks they employ. Perhaps there are some cutters in this forum who either work directly in some of these post houses or have seen some of the systems they use ? Do tell.

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
Re: Why Do TV Commercials Look SO Much Better ???
on Jan 14, 2003 at 3:37:07 pm

It more likely has to do with what kind of procamps and other hardware they smooge the editors output with than anything else. I've found h/w like the Elite Video BVP-4+ handy for doing this kind of signal tweaking when outputting to tape.

Terry Stetler

Moderator: Digital Media Net MediaStudio Pro forum

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/displaywwugindex.fcgi?forum=uleadmediastud...

Return to posts index

theoldwestguy
Re: Why Do TV Commercials Look SO Much Better ???
on Mar 9, 2003 at 3:49:41 am

Could be that they are shooting with 35mm film!

When I went to a training seminar put on by a film grip, it seemed they were shooting with film. The resolution is much better and of course you get extra f-stops to work with. This is obvious when comparing dark to light. In video we get what, 5 f-stops and film gets at least 7 f-stops to work with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]