FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! A/B timeline edit & sync with preview

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TWITT
Help! A/B timeline edit & sync with preview
on Dec 14, 2002 at 4:29:31 am

I have been editing videos with Amiga 4000T Newtek VideoToaster for eighteen years. Most all our jobs are two camera wedding videos.
We shoot with 4 Canon XL mini dv cameras.
We wanted to upgrade to nonlinear so we purchased in April 2002, Matrox rt2500 with Adobe Premiere and Muilticam software. We have had nothing but trouble. Losing video footage, computer locking up, etc.
So I will cut to the chase, we need advise on what turnkey system that will be able to operate something like an A/B roll sys. Using the timeline NLE to view both preview and program monitors at the same time.

Or is what we have good enough with some advise on muliticam tricks.

Thanks for your time and any help. Torrey

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: Help! A/B timeline edit & sync with previ
on Dec 14, 2002 at 4:51:47 pm

I have to admit to being a Canopus fan. I have an older DVRaptor and have a Sony DHR1000 deck. This system is frame accurate, fast to edit on and will insert accurately ( though the specs says it shouldn't). My friend bought an RT2500 with a recommended PC and could never get it working. The dealer changed it for an RT2000 that they eventually managed to get working but which is very touchy to this day. The Matrox DV device control on his system is very inaccurate and inconsistant and insert editing for him is a dream!!! I am told that the latest Matrox cards are a lot better but have no personal experience. Maybe get a Matrox X100 that will use your present Multicam software. I would buy a Canopus DVStorm2 and upgrade your MultiCam to DVStorm2 version that MultiCam have just announced.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 14, 2002 at 8:05:07 pm

Well, the Multicam demo presented by DVLine that I saw recently used the X100 and was very impressive.

One feature I especially enjoy about my X100 is its realtime color correction. It makes it a breeze to color match video shot from different cameras. I recently shot some video in an auditorium, which was lit by a combination of mercury vapor and incandescent, a terrible combination of light sources. The camcorder white balance tried its best, but it was off a little. After capturing the video, I applied Matrox's realtime color correction using the color picker to select a white object to automatically correct the video. Instantly, the video was dead on accurate, even with that terrible lighting. My customers would have accepted the uncorrected results, as that's about the best that they would have expected under the circumstances, but the realtime corrected results wow'ed 'em and me, too.

Return to posts index

TWITT
on Dec 16, 2002 at 9:00:01 pm

Dps Velocity Q
Is this the only answer to Multi Camera editing on the time line?

Return to posts index

sopher
on Jan 1, 2003 at 4:05:53 am

Hi,

For a 2 camera shoot you don't really need the multicam software. This added layer of complexity may be adding to your troubles.

Drop camera 1/2 into video 1/2 and sync them up. Then search out an obscure transition in the Transitions/Special Effects section called "take".

The "take" transition lets you choose A or B, can be stretched/dragged shorter, longer, works in the Trim Window, works in RT mode, etc.

A very little known but very nice way to do 2 camera stuff in Premiere.

Hope this helps - your mileage may vary!

Sopher

Return to posts index

Rob Ricci
on Jan 24, 2003 at 1:26:57 am

Hello Torrey-

Multicam software will work perfectly for your application. Multicam was designed to work like a "live" switcher but give you the flexibility of non linear. I'm not sure what or why you had problems with your Rt2500 system?? however, Multicam supports real time card from Pinnacle and Canopus.

The real value of Multicam is that it will save you time but most importantly help you to create BETTER shows by allowing the editor to make better edit decisions. See all of your camera sources side by side is very useful for multicam cutting.

I hope you find this information useful.
Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]