FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very low sound with imported clip

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
timdees
Very low sound with imported clip
on Dec 12, 2002 at 4:31:27 am

I am trying to make a Windows AVI file from a VHS tape, about five minutes in length. I can import the clip from my VCR, and hear the audio fine through the computer speakers as it runs during capture. However, as soon as I save it in Premiere, the sound track goes flat. There is a sound track there, but it shows almost no waveform, and I have to turn the volume on my sound card all the way up to hear anything at all - and then it's very muddy and hard to understand. I get the same result when I export my edited clip (includes two transitions) to an AVI file - very low, muddy sound. I suspect that I have incorrect settings for the capture phase, but I don't know how to fix it.

Settings for the file are as follows:

File Path: F:Captureslim capture 2.avi
File Size: 1.11GB bytes
Total Duration: 0;05;31;12
Average Data Rate: 3.43MB per second
Image Size: 720 x 480
Pixel Depth: 24 bits
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.900
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps

Audio: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

The video capture card is a Matrox RT.X10, using Adobe Premiere 6.5. I am capturing from a VHS VCR using composite video and line-in audio.

What settings do I change, and where do I change them?

Tim Dees
Kennewick, Washington

Return to posts index

timdees
Re: Very low sound with imported clip
on Dec 13, 2002 at 8:50:41 am

I eventually solved my own problem:

After futzing around with this all day, I went to watch TV for a while and had one of those "aha!" moments. I have (had, now) a USB microphone plugged into a hub. When Premiere was trying to record audio, it took it from the USB microphone. The volume was low because it was only picking up the background noise it heard from my computer speakers. I unplugged the USB microphone, and all worked perfectly. I had tech support people from three different companies scratching their heads.
Smile

Tim Dees
Kennewick, Washington

Return to posts index

grinner
Re: Very low sound with imported clip
on Dec 21, 2002 at 12:17:50 am

glad ya got it workin. It doesn't sound like your working with DV so you should be digitizing at 720X486, not 720X480.

grin
http://my.cybersoup.com/grinner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]