FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best format for short clips on CD-R?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coachwb
Best format for short clips on CD-R?
on Nov 20, 2002 at 1:38:10 pm

Hi,

I've got a Matrox RT.X10 and Premier 6.5. I'm distributing a CD-R with video clips that range from 5-10 seconds in length. I want to be compatible with a broad range of software players and didn't want to get into distributing CODECS. So I thought MPEG-2 was my answer.

However, when I play my MPEG-2's on Windows Media Player (WMP), they come out slightly "smushed" where it looks like the aspect ratio is a bit off. Not by much... just enough to tell the video is a little wider than it should be. Someone told me that WMP doesn't account for the aspect ratio and that if I played that on a desktop DVD player, it would look fine.

But I'd rather not have that distortion at all. I tried wmv and it played fine in WMP, but I'll probably have to deliver the codecs for it.

1) Has anyone else experienced this with MPEG2 on WMP?

2) What format would you recommend for short clips burned to CD-R for viewing through WMP?

Thanks,

Billy

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Best format for short clips on CD-R?
on Nov 20, 2002 at 10:05:07 pm

Hi there
I would export it as an AVI or maybe a Advanced Windows Media Export or maybe even quicktime or realmedia. I think they would be even more accessable to people over MPEG2. My first choice would probably be AVI, but thats just my opinion. Usually AVI is less compressed than any of the other formats. Usually people have some kind of player on their computer that can play AVI's.
Good Luck, hope you find a good means of compression for what you need.
Later
ciabt

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Best format for short clips on CD-R?
on Nov 21, 2002 at 4:44:36 am

I'd use Matrox MediaExport and use Real Player, which seems to have the most universally compatible format. You can download Real Player for just about any OS. Real Player also seems to have the best quality with the lowest bitrate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]