FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG 2 Edit Software

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fimduc
MPEG 2 Edit Software
on Nov 18, 2002 at 10:39:59 pm

Ok, I have copied all my VHS tapes over to DVD using the new Phillips 985 DVD Recorder. I would now like to edit the DVD disks with my computer and create new videos. What editing software is best to edit in MPEG 2 ? Can the software allow importing from a DVD +R with MPEG 2 video?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: MPEG 2 Edit Software
on Nov 19, 2002 at 5:53:33 pm

Ulead's Video Studio 6 (entry level to medium level) and Media Studio Pro (advanced level) are about as good as you can find for editing Mpeg 1 and 2. However, they cannot edit DVD files. What is the file extension for your DVD files? It would be news to me if your files can be edited.

One thing- the newest version of MyDVD creates DVD files that can be edited. You can check with them to see if your burner's files are compatible.

Return to posts index

fimduc
on Nov 20, 2002 at 1:38:07 am

kdaves,
Thats intersting. I am not sure what the file extension is. I assumed that MPEG 2 was a file format. I thought DVD was = to MPEG 2??

I have Mini DV tapes I want to import into my computet, i guess I should not import them as MPEG 2 if I want to edit them?

I thought MPEG 2 is the DVD standard and that ther were programs that could edit them just like avi files and dv.

I will chewck out the file extension

Thanks much for your help

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Nov 20, 2002 at 5:11:45 am

Hi there
It will probably be so much easier and quicker for you to import them as AVI's, edit them and then export to MPEG2. Good luck with your video!
Later
ciabt

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 20, 2002 at 5:45:34 am

I'll tell you what I know and what I don't know. Mpeg 2 is the file format for DVD's because of the relatively small file size, but to create a DVD with a computer you must use DVD authoring software to create DVD "titles" or "volumes". The DVD authoring software converts the Mpeg 2 files to a format with the file extension of ".vob". I do not know of a way to edit those files.

The latest version of MyDVD claims to create files in a new DVD format that can be edited, but I don't know the details.

I know next to nothing about the stand alone burners. If they create standard Mpeg 2 files, you may be able to edit them. I just doubt that the files are standard Mpeg 2 files.

Your best bet for creating DVD's from a mini DV is to get a fire wire card, editing software, and DVD authoring software.

Mpeg 2 can be edited using products such as Ulead's Video Studio and Media Studio Pro without damaging the quality of the Mpeg by re-encoding only the parts of the video that have been changed by adding titles, transitions, and the like.

Return to posts index

fimduc
on Nov 20, 2002 at 1:52:49 pm

Thanks, more good info! I need to better understand the "file format" that the Phillips DVD 985 Recorder makes when it "burns" a disc. It sure has been a quick and simple way to archives about 30 2 hour VHS tapes, and the DVD playback quality is as good as the original.

I have a firewire card that I have used with Studio DV to import video from my mini DV camera, but have only burned short SVCD using my CD burner. I would like to get a PC DVD burner, but it seemed to me that the archive process for the 30 VHS tape would be arduous using an analog capture card and then the two step process of capture, render and burn.

One of the guys at "Video Guys" told me over the phone that "you cannot edit MPEG 2 files due to the compression , etc" and that software to do this is around $3000". I did some web searching , etc and see the software you mentioned as being capable of "editing MPEG 2".......so I am a bit confused. Add to that, Phillips promotes the DVD recorder on their web site as saying" burned DVD's can be edited with available software". Available from who is not stated.

Going forward I will capture, edit and author with my new tapes from min DV on my PC, but I sure would like to be able to do something with the thoese DVD's.

I alos see on VCDHELP website that there are several discussions about how to "rip" a DVD much like you can rip a CD. Do you know anything about DVD ripping?

Thanks for your insight

Return to posts index

fimduc
on Nov 20, 2002 at 1:56:01 pm

VideoGUys agree with your statement. Can I simply put the newly minted DVD in my computer and import them into my Pinnacle editing software as AVI files for easier editing? Will there be a quality loss form uncompressing and then recompressing when authoring back to DVD?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

fimduc
on Nov 20, 2002 at 10:26:31 pm

kdave, I did discover the file type that the Phillips DVD Recorder converts my VHS tapes to in the process of "burning" on DVD and changing to MPEG 2 is in fact .vob

So, I guess there are no editing programs that can edit.vob

Could I put the DVD in the computer and convert the .vob files to an editable format and then author another DVD or would I lose file qualtity doing this?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 21, 2002 at 1:49:58 am

This is a tricky question. not all MPEG2 files are the same. The following is a very simplified explanation of the various types:

Some are muxed (audio and video together), others are the seperate MPEG2 video and audio streams, while others are vob files which are already on a DVD.

As was mentioned int his thread, Ulead Media Studio Software will let you capture and edit MPEG2 video. I do not believe they can edit the files you are trying to pull in from your Philips stand alone DVD burner.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 21, 2002 at 5:57:59 am

I know of no video editing program that can edit .vob files.

Return to posts index

fimduc
on Nov 21, 2002 at 3:15:56 pm

Are there programs that allow you to rip a commercial DVD that would have these vob files?

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
on Nov 28, 2002 at 8:22:25 pm

you need to extract the mpeg2 files from the vob file. Then you can edit it.

however because of the way that a mpeg2 file is made, mpeg2 is not the best way to edit video. To retain the best quality when editing, you should stay with avi files.

when you edit a mpeg2 file, you will have to rerender the parts that you've made changes to...and because mpeg2 is highly compressed, you tend to lose resolution when you do this.

the process of ripping a dvd can mean several things...basically you are looking for a vob to mpeg2 converter or a vob to avi converter.

Return to posts index

videoblaze
on Feb 1, 2003 at 3:56:39 am

While you are correct that there are limitations to editing MPEG2 files, be warned that converting back to AVI then again to MPEG2 can introduce as much degredation as the 'old' method of using video tapes. The root of the evil is that those CoDecs that everyone talks about are doing the damage, little-by-little.

When converting between the formats the video information gets decompressed then recompressed into the new format. Thats when small amounts of error are introduced. Repeat the process six times and you'll see your video quality degrade. MPEG2 is a lossy compression method, the amount of loss is related to the degree of compression. Greater compression leads to greater loss in general.

Even good old DV is lossy, just not very lossy. If you munge your video enough you can see the losses pile up. For most editing situations though the losses are low enough that they aren't easily seen -- and that's a good thing.

With that said, if you can live with some of the limitations of editing MPEG video directly, stay there and don't convert to DV (AVI) and then back again. Ulead's Video Studio and Media Studio Pro both use a SmartRender (copy the unaltered portions of the video) when edits are made. This is especially sweet when all you want to do is lop off stuff before and after the 'good part' of a clip.

The DVD format for set top player is those .VOB files. Vitec Multimedia sells a small toolbox that will perform VOB to MPEG conversion, you can then edit the MPEG an editor. You will still need DVD authoring tool (MyDVD, DVDit, Impression, or Ulead's DVD burner plugin, etc.) to convert your MPEG back into a DVD volume.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]