FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting weird "splotches" during capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morbius
Getting weird "splotches" during capture
on Nov 10, 2002 at 6:52:54 am

I'm brand new to video capture and editing, but just recently bought the Matrox RT.X100 and Premiere bundle. Tonight,
I tried my first capture, of analog video off of a Sony Hi-8 Camcorder. Now, I've never done any video capture or editing before, so this problem could certainly be my inexperience, but I've checked and re-checked everything and can't figure this out. Here's what happens...

First, I've selected "Matrox DV (analog input)" as the preset in Premiere. All I changed from that preset was to select the S-Video input, instead of Composite. I open up Premiere's "Movie Capture" window and start my camcorder playing, and I see the video in the window and hear the audio. But I notice right off that there are some weird, wavy lines that run horizontally across the image. They seem to originate from the very left-edge of the image, and show up as black jagged splotches kind of "bleeding" from the left-edge of the image to the right. And the lines don't stay in one location on the image, they vary, moving up and down, sometimes none being on-screen. It's as if they're being caused by something IN the recorded image, such as a brightness level or a certain color. In any event, they ruin the capture. They do appear to be present on the file that gets saved, as well as in the Movie Capture window, so it's not just related to the display of the capture as it occurs. (Note that I can email a screen cap of a frame that shows this problem to anyone who's interested)

I've tried several diffeent tapes, and they all exhibt this same problem during capture. But the problem is not evident if you're viewing the tape on the camcorder's LCD screen, or if I play the tapes back through my television. So it's not the tape or camcorder, but something in either the capture setup or Premiere. I thought I might be able to capture the footage using the Matrox Media Tools, but it appears that only works for 1394-connected devices, not analog devices like this one.

Anyway, I need some help...the main reason I purchased this setup was to transfer all of our Hi-8 footage to DVD, and if I can't get this to work right, I really don't have need for this hardware!

Return to posts index

Gerard
Re: Getting weird "splotches" during cap
on Nov 10, 2002 at 12:43:09 pm

Hi Morbius,

This is just a guess, and someone might be able to help you better with this, but I did have a kind of similar problem once, and it turned out to be the fault of my graphics card! Once I changed it out I was back in business. After a long time, and several driver updates, I reinstalled that problem card again, and it worked. Well, that was my experience anyway.

Return to posts index

bootvmlinuz
on Nov 18, 2002 at 8:31:35 pm

I had a problem similar to yours a year ago with my RT2500, Matrox G550 video and Sony Hi-8 camcorder.

My problem was that my pc was not fast enough to keep up with the 1394 transfer. (Something about Bios latency...) I was getting squarish black and grey blotches when I wrote the tape from Premiere. If I remember right, the blotches only appeared when played back from the camcorder.

This was really bad because my Athlon 800 system (512MB Ram) should have been fast enough. However, when I put together another Amd Athlon 1800 system, all was solved.

Are you using a Matrox card? Describe your system speed, Ram, Hd's, OS. I am not familiar with the new Matrox products, though someone may help.

Anyway, I hope your problem is not like mine was.
hth.
steve.

Return to posts index

Morbius
on Nov 18, 2002 at 11:00:29 pm

Well, as it turns out, it looks like it might not be a problem with the capture setup, but with the camcorder itself...I tried playing back tapes from the camcorder to my regular TV set, rather than the little 13" monitor I had hooked up to the capture card, and I do see the problem there. For some reason, I can't see the problem on the camcorder's viewfinder, and the 13" monitor didn't show it either. I took the tapes to Best Buy and had them play some back for me from a Hi-8 camcorder there to there monitor, and the tapes looks fine. So I guess I just need to borrow someone else's Hi-8 camcorder long enough to transfer these tapes either to a new MiniDV camcorder or to the PC itself. Thanks for the info though. I do have a couple more questions now that I've played around a little with the hardware and software, but I'm gonna start ask them in a new posting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]